Paddler size Isel and Alaw Bach

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Grian

Paddler size Isel and Alaw Bach

Post by Grian » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:02 am

If you paddle a Rockpool Isel would you mind sharing your height and weight, and if female, clothing size on bottom half.

Also, if a sub 70kg Alaw Bach paddler could you comment whether you need to add weight for everyday outings.

Thank you!

rockhopper

Re: Paddler size Isel and Alaw Bach

Post by rockhopper » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:34 am

I am bang on 10 st or 64kgs. Height is 5' 7" (or 7.5" on a good day !!) 170cms.....oh! and male.
Have never needed to add weight to my Isel and in fact I try to keep anything I take with me to a minimum as I prefer the feel of the boat when it is at it's lightest.
When paddling my Alaw Bach I have also never added weight in order to get the boat to perform differently although I have moved gear from front to rear and vice-versa to alter its feel depending on weather conditions and what I am doing in the boat. The benefit of it being lighter is that it disengages the stern easier which helps with quicker turns.

If you only intend to do day trips and don't want to carry much stuff and, if you fit comfortably in an Isel then I would recommend going for one of those rather than an Alaw Bach. If you intend to do longer trips involving camping then you may struggle for hatch space

Rog.

Grian

Post by Grian » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:03 pm

Thanks Rog. We are a similar height and weight though I expect I carry more around my hips!

Good to know the Alaw Bach handles well for you unloaded at that weight, the description of its target being medium to large paddlers made me wonder.

I will organise to try both at some point, I suspect I may be broad of butt for the Isel though. I sat in a Pilgrim once and I’m certain it creaked when I shoehorned myself in.

The Alaw will be slightly faster than its little sibling I guess?

on the rocks

Post by on the rocks » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:09 pm

Hi. We both have Isels and get on with them really well. Good stability, holds a line well in wind, easy to roll. I think the Alaw Bach has same or similar Hull but higher deck and more volume? We haven’t been camping in then yet but when we do will have to pack light. I’m 5’4” and 68 kg. My female partner is 5’ tall, 75kg. and size 14. I tried a Pilgrim but found it too tippy for my weight
Last edited by on the rocks on Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grian

Post by Grian » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:31 pm

on the rocks wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:09 pm
Hi. I’m a female Isel paddler. 5’ tall, 75kg. and size 14.

Thanks on the rocks, that’s really helpful. I will try to arrange a demo then. Although I think they are like hens teeth to find second hand so it could be expensive to discover that it is amazing.

I think I remember previous posts where you tried the Romany and found it baggy, before loving the Isel?

on the rocks

Post by on the rocks » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:01 pm

I found the Romany a little baggy but it fitted my partner well, however she still preferred the Isel for paddling

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:09 pm

The Alaw Bach and Isel have exactly the same hulls, the Isel just has an inch or so taken of it's seam line so the hulls handle exactly the same although the Isel is obviously less affected by wind.
They are rare to come up second hand so it may be worth looking to invest in a new one as they will, no doubt, hold their value well. I guess that people who have them tend to hang onto them.

For smiles per £ they are excellent value......

Rog.

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:11 pm

Oh! bear in mind that, as they are the same hulls, if you fit into an Alaw bach width wise i presume you would also fit into an Isel..

Grian

Post by Grian » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:14 pm

Smiles per £ are what matter! So glitter or no glitter.. :D

OMarti

Post by OMarti » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:05 pm

My wife is 1m68 (5'6"), 54kg, size 38 (french size ~12 UK ?), and very happy of her Isel. She use it as light as possible on day trip, and for few day trips.

Found it second hand last year in Belgium :-)

Olivier

John Goldhurst

Post by John Goldhurst » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:32 pm

I own the Isel. Male 170 lbs. , 5.9 and 32 inch waste. I only do day trips no camping.
I fit in the Isel fine as well as the Alaw Bach. Cockpit size and seats are the same. The Isel is a lowered deck, low volume boat.

John

Grian

Post by Grian » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:50 pm

Thanks very much for everyone’s help.

The knowledge the Isel is the same width as the Alaw Bach encourages me. Only one place in Scotland / N England to try one I think, will need to make a trip via Ayrshire.

Northern Blue

Post by Northern Blue » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:29 am

My gf weighs 65kg and paddles an Alaw Bach without needing to add extra weight to it.

I’m probably at the upper limit for it at 93kg and 5’11”, but I’ve paddled it a few times now, including in some interesting sea conditions and it’s performed perfectly. When the time comes for a camping expedition, I’ll be back in my Scorpio HV.

I’m looking at a composite boat for 2019 and my shortlist is an Alaw Bach or Cetus MV.

Grian

Post by Grian » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:01 am

Northern Blue wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:29 am
My gf weighs 65kg and paddles an Alaw Bach without needing to add extra weight to it.

I’m probably at the upper limit for it at 93kg and 5’11”, but I’ve paddled it a few times now, including in some interesting sea conditions and it’s performed perfectly. When the time comes for a camping expedition, I’ll be back in my Scorpio HV.

I’m looking at a composite boat for 2019 and my shortlist is an Alaw Bach or Cetus MV.
Good to know, I'll definitely try both then. I paddled an NDK Explorer for a day and without added weight there was a lot of boat above the waterline to catch wind.

Connectivity differences due to the higher deck of the Alaw Bach should be remedied with some skilful padding I expect? Does good connectivity in a larger boat equate to an lv-like fit and feel...? It was a revelation to paddle an entirely scaled down boat, so much more responsive.

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:00 am

Does good connectivity in a larger boat equate to an lv-like fit and feel...?
No it doesn't...it help you feel more in control of your boat but is will still not feel like a smaller version does.

I also used to own a Tahe Greenland (the very needle-like slender version) which was incredibly light, narrow and with very little freeboard above the waterline. In bigger seas it would drive through waves so it sometimes almost felt like being in a submarine but it was fantastic to paddle and hugely responsive. Barely felt like there was a boat beneath you...not the most comfortable for longer paddles though...so, my point is that the smaller/lighter and more suitable to your size a boat is (ignoring if loading for camping/longer trips) the more responsive and in tune with you it is likely to feel (but it still needs to be comfortable to sit in for extended periods).

Rog.

Grian

Post by Grian » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:28 am

I reckon its sensible to prioritise the smaller version in that case. I don't do many trips and am sure for a weekend the Isel would be sufficient since the Romany is.

The Tahe is such a stunning boat. The Romany is quite the opposite and goes over waves with a bounce, I wonder if the Rockpool boats are any less splashy.

OMarti

Post by OMarti » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:39 pm

My wife uses the Isel for several days trips. It's OK in summer. With winter clothes and winter sleeping bag it might be complicated.

The X-Cite which is almost a copy of the Alaw Bach is quite splashy. The flat shape near the bow is probably the reason.

Olivier

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:56 pm

The Rockpool boats do also tend to be 'splashy' over waves like most boats of the design. There are the Rockpool Tarans or the Tarantella (smaller version) but they are a very different beast from what you are looking currently at.
Not paddled any of that range myself.

Rog.