Beaufort/ Reed / tuiliq or bothy jacket

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Sheepskin

Beaufort/ Reed / tuiliq or bothy jacket

Post by Sheepskin » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:03 am

Looking at getting one of these, though has to be 2nd hand ( personal principles and budget) I quite like the Howard Jeff ones especially as it packs down hence ideal for deck bag stowage. I’m going to be paddling all winter and granted I wear a dry suit but cold weather paddling appeals to me, Winter equals cold rain.

Recommendations please especially interested if there’s one lurking in a cupboard

Cheers

TheEcho

Re: Beaufort/ Reed / tuiliq or bothy jacket

Post by TheEcho » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:48 am

I used my new Reeds Storm cag for the first time last week over my drysuit - put it on for footling around on the shore and lunch stops, paddled away still wearing it and then took it off once I had paddled long enough to warm up. Very happy with it. It is a nice light fabric and although it didn’t come with a bag it does fit in a small mesh bag and I keep it in the day hatch. Only disadvantage of the light fabric is that getting it on and off in Thursday’s high winds felt like being whipped by a demented scarecrow holding a spraydeck. Not sure you will find a second hand one yet though as I think it is a new design - old ones were heavier fabric. Looking at Howard Jeff’s website I think it is the same thing.

You need a regular spray deck on as well because if you rolled the water would come through the access slit in the belly. Maybe I could investigate closing the slit up somehow and enjoying the extra flexibility for Greenland rolling practice compared to regular spraydeck wear. It wouldn’t have to keep all the water out, just most of it.

Sheepskin

Post by Sheepskin » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:04 pm

Kokatat storm cag?

Sheepskin

Post by Sheepskin » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:16 pm

Something I’ve noticed is that they all appear to have skinny arms, surely something designed to go over kit would be better served with broader arms?