River running Usk in composite boat

Inland paddling
Lewperren

River running Usk in composite boat

Post by Lewperren » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:12 am

I am taking my composite C1 playboat (Shaggy Design Sith) to South Wales this weekend. The levels have dropped since floods but still seem reasonable compare with two weeks back. How bony are the Usk and other local rivers? Will my boat survive? Any advice from local paddlers welcome.

twopigs

Re: River running Usk in composite boat

Post by twopigs » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:10 am

The Usk has about a quarter of the catchment of the Wye ..... so it drains quicker. This morning Trallong showing 0.49 m - I reckon 0.60 m is a nice level for 3* ww kayak training. It looks like it is dropping about 0.10 m a day so I would not bother this weekend - but it will be your call! The section from Talybont to Llangurig will probably go tomorrow. The Wye will have more water but is not as interesting!
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

Lewperren

Post by Lewperren » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:54 am

Thanks Two pigs :-)

stonercanoe

Post by stonercanoe » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:32 am

Mill Falls section, I use NRW Llandetty gauge. It is 0.9 at the moment. Down to 0.75 I will run it in my canoe, down to 0.7 I will run it in my kayak but not any lower.
Below 1.0 the rocks start to show and easy to leave plastic behind.
At the moment none of the tribs of the Usk would probably go?
Hope this helps.
Jason

Lewperren

Post by Lewperren » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:07 am

Thanks Jason

Lewperren

Post by Lewperren » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:59 am

Thanks for the guidance. Report Back. I ran the Usk both days with the NRW Llandetty gauge at 0.9 (Sat) and 0.81 (Sunday). Running rivers in composite is awesome, makes picking lines so important. My mates checked out lines with plastic boats, a definite bonus. Mostly not middle channel, but left or right on rock gardens mostly works well at these levels. At Mill Falls left line, to Eddy by white building on left, across to middle and then left line down worked well. Further down at the rock ledge the just right of middle boofed well, slight cushion from water. We avoided the chute at extreme right, seems to go well, but worried there must be a rock causing the chute. We saw an open do it sweetly so might be wrong. Things might be different on all features at different levels of course. The Shaggy stood up well, some scratches nothing deep, just gelcoat, mind you there are probably 4 layers on carbon kevlar so quite robust, a slalom would get destroyed.

boater rich

Post by boater rich » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:02 pm

Awesome to hear of a Sith still being paddled in the UK! Having known and paddled with the designers of the Sith (Gwyn and Martin) I know they are pretty sturdy for composite boats. Gwyn took his down the Upper Dart and many other Grade 4 UK rivers at a normal just on the ledge level and it was fine!