'Rapids' on OS map

Inland paddling
banzer

'Rapids' on OS map

Post by banzer » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:55 am

I have just noticed for the first time the word 'rapids' marked on an OS map - at Symonds Yat, on Bing Maps.

Does anyone know any other instances of this? And I wonder who at OS is responsible for choosing what watery features are represented and which aren't. I know of several decent size waterfalls in Scotland that aren't marked, and several rubbish, almost-not-there ones that are.......
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Franky

Re: 'Rapids' on OS map

Post by Franky » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:44 pm

I'd guess the OS marks rapids that are useful for members of the general public when orienting themselves. I suppose this means that it marks isolated rapids near public rights of way, and ignores rapids that are continuous and/or remote. For example, there are no rapids marked on the Dart; but since most of the river is rapids, marking them wouldn't be very useful. It would also make the map difficult to read.

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:34 pm

I understand that OS have a digital master map these days with far more detail than can be crammed on at the usual scales, and someone has to go through and choose which bits actually make it onto the published maps. It could be OS have a lot more rapids and falls recorded, but which ones make it onto maps depnds on things like space available and whether the person editing the map thinks they are relevant?

garya

Post by garya » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:41 pm

This kind of begs the question of would OS work on maps with Paddler specific or outdoor sport overlay that could be bought on line or downloaded.

I have come back from overseas where back country maps showed get in / take out points. Significant waterfalls and portage routes. Sections of river navigable by canoe/kayak where also marked as canoe trails. These helped a lot in getting to the venue's and planning, when on the river the usual read and run rules applied.

Gary A

WaterStillScaresMe

Post by WaterStillScaresMe » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:39 pm

I've had (unconnected) dealings with OS in the past and they strike me as a very surprisingly imaginative and well connected organisation. If someone has the energy I'd suggest that a direct approach should be made (rather than seeing them as the faceless organisation they may have been in the past). Obviously a well constructed case with evidence might go down better than 'I was sitting in my living room thinking' - and I'm sure they receive their fair share of crank calls from people with what they think are really good ideas (so a degree of call filtering would be expected). But I'd have a go.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:12 pm

I'm struggling to remember the issue but I am sure I wrote to them once about how rivers were denoted on maps and I got a very detailed explanation with all the logic behind it. Probably best looking in contacts or just to customer services.

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:20 pm

There still seems an element of subjectivity, rivers change character at sheet boundaries -I don't think so. The cragginess of hillsides the same, but no doubt as the digital master is updated it will become more and more uniform, Pity in a way, I like the subjectivity and even artistic contours making animals etc on the overseas surveys of Africa.

Franky

Post by Franky » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:43 am

Read Map Addict by Mike Parker. There are a couple of chapters on the OS. Maverick touches on maps (roads that don't exist, cartographers' initials etched into cliff faces, etc.) are not going to go away. They are often inserted to make plagiarism easy to detect, and every OS map contains tiny inaccuracies. I would imagine that a good many of these are for river features, since nobody except paddlers and OS employees will ever know or care about them :)