Protect Latex seals

Commercial gear, films, books, etc.
Sabre13

Protect Latex seals

Post by Sabre13 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:38 pm

Hi, I have just replaced my Kayak dry suit latex wrist seals as they were cracking at the cuffs and i was just putting the glue i usually use away when i spied another glue which i had bought previously this year which is Unibond Repair Extreme glue and i had purchased it because i wanted to try and repair my old dive mask which i am very fond of as there was a spilt in the rubber seal around the mask,and this glue did the trick.

This glue has a high and low temperature range between +120 Oc to _40 Oc and it is highly flexible yet sets very quickly so what i was thinking is if i cover my Latex seals with this glue with the temperature ranges it covers shouldn't it protect the Latex seals from UV degradation so make them last a bit longer?

Thanks.

PlymouthDamo

Re: Protect Latex seals

Post by PlymouthDamo » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:40 pm

Does the glue stop UV?
Could the glue itself attack your seals?
Would the glue affect how well the seals work - e.g. make them a bit stiffer and less able to form a tight seal around your wrist?
What's the cost/benefit analysis like? I.e. how much does the glue cost? How much of a hassle would it be to apply? What time/money would any potential extra lifespan of your wrist seals save you?

I doubt anyone knows the answer to all of the above, so you'd need to do a trial and find out. Personally, I find wrist seals last me long enough and are easy enough to change that I wouldn't bother. Perhaps there are other ways to protect them from UV degradation - e.g have outer cuffs fitted to your cag to shield the seals from the sun when you're using them, and store your kit out of direct sunlight.

Another possibility is that sunblock could be damaging your seals. I've read this repeatedly on diving/kayaking forums. I'm not convinced though, as I'm a big sunblock-user, and I've never had a problem with seals expiring too soon.

Sabre13

Post by Sabre13 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:55 am

Hi PlymouthDamo. With the Glue being able to withstand a temperature range between +120 to -40 I would say it does stop UV. It does not effect how the seals work,you wouldn't know it was on your seals it is so flexible. At £4:60 a for a tube of this glue and the fact that it gives a large covering for a small amount i could easily cover both wrist seals with one tube and it is very easy to apply.

I have done a test with this glue on one of my old wrist seals ,covering a section of the seal with glue and leaving the rest of the wrist seal without glue on it so i can see what happens to the two materials. I then placed the wrist seal in a south facing window so it gets as much UV rays as possible. (Time will tell what the out come is)

I store my kit out of direct sun light and in a cool dry place and i do not wear sunblock etc I had to replace the seals due to wear and tear as it was a friends RNLI drysuit and he was getting a new suit so he gave this one to me.

I live 300 miles from the nearest place that could put neoprene cuffs on my surface drysuit so the glue is a cheaper option as i can buy it from the local ships Chandlery and get the job done in less than an hour and be back out in the Kayak where as if i were to send the drysuit away for neoprene cuffs to be put on it would cost for postage,cost for the neoprene cuffs to be fitted and return postage and take a couple of weeks depending.

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:54 am

There's no harm in trying this glue, but given the hassle you have in getting seals changed, I think the best long-term solution would be to learn how to do them yourself. One of my ex-colleagues was a lifeboatman, and he took me down the lifeboat station where the guy that looks after their kit showed me how to change the neck seal on my diving drysuit. I've never looked back - it's ridiculously quick and easy to do and you use the same basic technique to do wrists/socks and repair holes. No hanging around waiting for things to be posted and no paying for someone to do something you can do just as well in a few minutes.

Here's one of many guides from YouTube. It's slightly different to the way I do it, but I'm sure it will work fine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLvOJA2Z0iY

Sabre13

Post by Sabre13 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:06 pm

Hi, I changed the latex seals myself it would be getting the neoprene cuffs put on the suit that would be the hastle,postage etc so that is why i want to try this glue to use it instead of neoprene cuffs and if it works it will be a possible for anyone to do and prolong the life of there latex wrist seals and cheaper.

Cheers.

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:22 pm

When you say neoprene cuffs, are we talking wrist seals? If so, you put those on the same way you would latex seals. The only difference is that you might want to put one or two extra layers of contact adhesive on the neoprene because it's a rougher, more absorbent surface. I've got one neoprene and one latex cuff on one of my drysuits as I was too lazy and tight to swap them both over! All my neckseals get swapped to neoprene when the latex seal wears out.

Sabre13

Post by Sabre13 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:58 pm

Hi when i was saying neoprene cuffs I meant the ones you can get that come fitted to a suit or dry cag that cover the Latex wrist seals so as to prevent UV rays degrading the Latex wrist seals. Personally i wouldn't change my seals to neoprene as neoprene is not as water tight as latex. Wetsuits are made of neoprene and called wetsuit's as they do not keep you dry,also where i live in Shetland the water is much cooler so i am more liable to get Hypothermia so the drier i can stay the better.

P.S Is your name Damo?

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:51 pm

(Damo is a nickname for use on forums etc)

Right - didn't realise you could get those cuff things retrofitted. Good luck trialling that glue - if it works, let us know.

Re. neoprene v. latex: neoprene seals used to be rubbish, as I discovered many years ago when I was learning to dive using the school's drysuits. Then they started making neck seals from a different type. It is much stretchier, with a smooth coating against your skin and the seals are often double length so you can tuck it inside itself. Amongst all the divers I know, the only ones who don't now prefer neoprene are the few who haven't tried this new sort. It's taken good care of me when I've been doing long dives in Scapa - bone dry and very warm (and no hanged man's neck.) Nearly all divers still prefer latex or silicone on their wrists, however this year, one of my kayaking buddies tried some neoprene wrist seals on his drysuit and reported they were very good. So I gave it a go when I needed to replace a seal, and so far it's been perfect, although it's still early days. I think the manufacturers have perfected the type of neoprene you get for seals. (NB: you can still buy junk seals off eBay. Take advice before buying.)

Sabre13

Post by Sabre13 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:54 pm

Ye i will let you know how the glue works out its well worth a go. Here is a link to the the glue i have used.

I asked about your name as my real name is Damo so maybe i should call my self ShetlandDamo lol.

Cheers stay safe.