What trousers?

Inland paddling
bob notts

What trousers?

Post by bob notts » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:29 am

Hi folks. Can you advise me as a newbie what type of trousers to wear as I have my first few ventures out and also the weather is cooling down too so I doubt I can wear shorts for long. I did pick up a bargain cag on eBay so I am ok for top wear.
I know jeans/denim is a big no no but would joggers be ok?

Many thanks. Bob.

G7AFM

Re: What trousers?

Post by G7AFM » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:32 pm

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:53 am

When I started out I used lightweight trousers from Palm and they lasted years, really good but for canoeing they just weren't up to the job. If you are sitting in a puddle of water you would want built-in feet so there are options to consider

jamiemagee

Post by jamiemagee » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:08 pm

Nookie dry trousers with built in socks are a brilliant investment. When I started out I used walking waterproofs with neoprene socks and shoes to keep my feet warm.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:11 pm

If you don't want to invest in 'proper' paddling gear yet, something like sone HH Lifa thermals under your shorts will get you by. Won't keep you dry, but will stay warm when wet. As young's, we paddled in these for years until we discovered wetsuits.
Or you can scale up to wetsuit trousers or to drysuit ones.

If on a super tight budget, rob a couple of pairs of ya Granny's tights and layer them up under your shorts.
dave

Ed_P

Post by Ed_P » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:32 pm

While I'm no expert kayaker just yet, I presume the basics of keeping warm and dry on the water are the same as sailing, which I have some background in. I've always bought my sailing clothing (base-layers, mid-layers, top-layers) from Helly Hansen https://www.marinesuperstore.com/helly-hansen

Hope this helps!

Ed

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:31 am

Whilst the fundamentals of outdoor clothing might be the same, there are a number of significant differences between the design of clothing for sailing and kayaking/canoeing. First off, sailors seem to expect to stay on board and clothes are not necessarily designed to exclude water during immersion, most kayaking clothes have latex cuffs, ankles and neck seals. Another big area of difference is the cut. It seems that sailors expect to be walking around whereas kayakers expect to be sitting down in a fixed position. See the design of a sailing jacket which will come well below the waist like some kind of blazer whereas a kayak cag will stop at the waist to allow movement when sitting. I could go on.

I'm not saying HH stuff is unsuitable but you would need to select with some discernment.

Ed_P

Post by Ed_P » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:30 am

Thanks for the heads up, Adrian.

It would probably help if I could get the clothing right, might help my kayaking too. All the gear, no idea!

Ian Dallaway

Post by Ian Dallaway » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:09 am

Hi Bob,
it might be an idea to have a look at some of the neoprene trousers that are available. As a newbie, they will be far more robust and will probably protect you from bumps and bruises better than dry trousers. They are a lot cheaper too, and will last for years.

You will get wet - but it's a watersport after all! The chances are you will get wet in a dry cag/dry trouser combination too, but these are much less comfortable when wet without some good thermals underneath.

It's worth getting yourself to a shop and see what suits you (and your budget).
Ian