Riot Magnum - Opinions?

Inland paddling
no-no

Riot Magnum - Opinions?

Post by no-no » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:47 am

Are they cheap and cheerful for a reason?

Lots of people say they paddle well enough but they dent and spit easy, however most of these comments seem to be very old, ten years or so.

I know the outfitting isn't meant to be great but it'll still be a step up from what I paddle at the moment.

Has anyone got experience of paddling a newer one?

purelandexpeditions.com

Re: Riot Magnum - Opinions?

Post by purelandexpeditions.com » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:41 pm

Even now these are a popular boat for clients and guides on our Bhutan expeditions. - Lighter than a mamba etc. If you like rounder hull designs this is a good boat - dated but good. We still have a few in our Nepa. fleet that take plenty of abuse.

Darren
Raft Kayak Trek Explore
purelandexpeditions.com

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:04 pm

I love the Magnum. If you are a fan of creek boats that need a little driving rather than corking down through things then the Magnum is great.

I still paddle a Salto and love it though (never found a boat I want to replace it with) so my opinions might be a bit outdated.

no-no

Post by no-no » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:42 pm

sounds promising then, just need to try one out on moving water. would you know how it'd compare to a zet raptor?

banzer

Post by banzer » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:26 pm

I've had a couple of Magnums (the smaller size of the two). Decent boats, quite hard wearing, coped well with various steep Scottish creeks.

As far as I know the mould has been bought by someone else who are knocking out the 'new' Magnums, not one of the recognised WW manufacturers. So I can't say whether their outfitting or plastic quality matches up with the Riot's who at least had plenty of boat know-how.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

James Hartley

Post by James Hartley » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:28 pm

I remember when they went back in to production a few years back. Having had the mold bought by a new distributor. So I was keen to demo the boat. And (the smaller of the 2 sizes) the boat was really nice to paddle from what I recall. One of the best boats I demo'd at the time. And I really got on with it in terms of how it was on the river and handled. The reasons I didn't buy one was; 1) The boat felt made of soft cheese. Seriously, the plastic felt super soft and not well put together at all. Now this was a few years back (4? or 5 maybe? Not sure on the time frame, I forget) So how the boats are today. I can't comment on. The second mark against the boat, was the cockpit size. It was super small. For reference, most boats these days take an R5 sized keyhole deck, this one took an R3. I wasn't thrilled with the idea of a backwards step in a potential safety feature. But that is just me. Some people would no doubt prefer, and like the smaller option.
The more apparently complex an act, the more vital it is to search until you find its inner simplicity
Feed the rat