Mega Jester Rio feedback welcome....

Riding the waves
yabbadabba

Mega Jester Rio feedback welcome....

Post by yabbadabba » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:30 am

Hello to all,
I have been really lucky and picked up a Mega Jester Rio for free, tatty but usable.
So far I have had a couple of sessions in it on 3-4ft nice swell, rolling easy, paddle out easy, holding a wave face, awesome, turning well I have not found the steering controls yet ;-)
So a daft question does it turn and if so how?
My Mega Intruder I can turn well, my last longer boat the Mega Rave I could weave through surfers with confidence.
So far with the Mega Jester Rio I feel a resistance to any form of turning or I trip on the edge and go submarine mode. So any hints on steering would be good. Is it a twist and turn using stern rudder, lift a knee and edge gently.......any hints welcome.
When I say turning I mean on the wave face and shoulder.

StoneWeasel

Re: Mega Jester Rio feedback welcome....

Post by StoneWeasel » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:03 pm

As I am sure you have found it tracks pretty well but feels somewhat locked in when you come to do a big turn. That is because in a boat like the Rio, it is locked in, really locked in. You have a great big, long, round rail just gripping the water and holding you firm.

For a big dynamic turn you are going to have to release the rail. You best bet for releasing the rail is lead with your head and lift with your knee. Don't be afraid to get aggressive and boss your boat about a bit.

This video shot in slow-mo shows it really well. Just look at how much angle people are putting on their IC boats to release the rails

I hope that helps as a general starter.

Feel free to fire any more questions my way though. I love IC boats and am always glad to see more people trying the long way of life :)

Denzil

yabbadabba

Post by yabbadabba » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:39 pm

Hi Denzil,

Thanks for the tips :-)
Your description is so spot on it made me smile, locked in is definitely the right expression.
My experience so far.

Paddle 1: Clean 2ft waves mainly to get used to paddling around and practise a few rolls before hitting anything bigger. Everything felt odd but good fun.
Paddle 2: Straight to some bigger stuff 3-4ft, catching the waves felt amazingly easy, I found myself stuck on the wave face going in a straight line parallel to the beach but nearly every time managed to have enough speed to get onto the shoulder and hop off the back of the wave.
Paddle 3: 3-4ft Progressing to continually climbing up the wave face and falling off the back of the wave, just couldnt figure out how to change direction and drop down the wave face.
Paddle 4: 4ft plus and messy, more of a survive in one piece day for me, beaten up by 3 waves in a row, 3 rolls in a row so good practise.
Paddle 5: 3-4ft super clean sets with a nice interval and it clicked, lots of torso rotation, more dynamic use of the knees and paddle. By the end of the session I was happily amongst the surfers and weaving through them with confidence when on the wave.

My other boats didnt even get a look in for the rest of the time I had in Cornwall.

Thanks for the link, I will study the video for when I am next back in Cornwall in October :-)

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:49 pm

yabbadabba wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:39 pm
Thanks for the link, I will study the video for when I am next back in Cornwall in October :-)
If you are down in Cornwall give me a shout. I am always up for a surf :)

Denzil

InstantExpert

Post by InstantExpert » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:10 pm

Hi Yabbadabba
I've been looking for a Rio for years for straight line surfing (I'm too old for catching air etc).
But they never seem to come up for sale. A friend has one and it's so comfortable for me compared to my 3m Mega Trident.
Could I ask where you found your Rio ?
Would you have any suggestions for where I could look for one ?

Dan

Colin C

Post by Colin C » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:18 pm

If you are looking for second hand boats, particularly older ones, I am afraid that its patience, and searching in the usual places, but maybe someone else has worked out a better way. Gumtree and E Bay are good for surf boats, but who knows how long it will take. Facebook also has a couple of surf related market pages, as well a kayak sales pages, and you can always put a request for one, out on the pages, and if people know you are looking for one they may let you know when they come up. Its also worth thinking about Ireland as well, as surf boats come up over there, on a regular basis. I got one there.
Lots of clubs have Facebook pages, so keeping an eye on them is worth the time. You can set up searches on some of these mediums, to save you visiting them all the time, but I suggest that your search criteria is not too precise, as folk may not list them precisely, but then again, who knows. My apologies if this is already known by you.

Good luck
Colin

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:04 pm

Dan, I would look out for a Jester Cyclone too.

They are one of the roomiest, comfiest IC boats ever made and are great boats.

Denzil

InstantExpert

Thanks Colin

Post by InstantExpert » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:47 pm

Some good suggestions thanks Colin ... the quest goes on !!

Colin C

Post by Colin C » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:20 pm

Good luck, and boats will come up, and second hand surf boats seem to lose a lot of value in the first couple of years, so its a bit of a buyers market, except when I am buying, or its just my poor negotiation skills.

Colin

yabbadabba

Post by yabbadabba » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:21 pm

Sorry for the delay in sending a response.
I was kind of lucky, I spotted a dirty kayak behind a surf shop in Cornwall, so being curious I had a look and it was full of skanky water, rotten leaves and snails and was not in a pretty state but I could see it was a Mega Jester Rio. So doing the right thing I spoke to the shop owner and they didn't even know it was there. To cut a long story short the shop owner asked around and apparently it had been left there over 12 weeks prior to me asking about it, the shop phoned me up and said I could take it so I popped into a local Police station, submitted a lost and found report etc . I washed the kayak out in the sea, took it out on the water and it leaked, a temp fix with some sikaflex and plastic and it was water tight enough to be used, just had to sponge it out every now and then. So that's how I came to own a Mega Jester Rio but the story does not end there.

On returning home and giving the kayak a really good inspection there was some serious impact damage in several places and a 6 inch long by 2 inch wide section of the rail missing roughly in the middle of the kayak, it had been badly repaired before I found it. The cockpit rim was coming lose, there was some damage to the tail and the deep cracks from the impact areas and quite a bit of flex in several areas.

So then comes the dilemma, it wouldn't last long in its current condition, it was beyond the value of the kayak to get it repaired professionally so I only had one option left.

Many hours on Google watching videos and tutorials on carbon repairs and gelcoat repairs and the materials to use. Many hours dremmeling out the cracks and filling with gelcoat, lots of small repairs and sanding then the big one, I had a crash course on spraying gelcoat, self taught of course and the project being the kayak. The end result, well its been surfed quite a bit and no cracks have reappeared, I spent a lot of time on the hull to get a good finish but the top side was rushed as the last coat went on just before the kayak was placed in the van to go to Cornwall :-)

So overall I actually gained a free Mega Jester Rio, spent about £100 on a stuff and quite a few hours repairing and sanding but I now have the skills to hopefully look after a carbon kayak and repair it if needed.......priceless.

I tend to scan Gumtree, Ebay and Newsnow for kayaks, as already said often its a waiting game.

Good luck in your search :-)