Leaving a vehicle

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
pjjones00

Leaving a vehicle

Post by pjjones00 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:28 pm

Hi.
Just planning trip on a loch. I will be wild camping for 4 or so nights.
When I leave my camper in a car park do you inform the police?
I will be going solo and I will obviously let family and friends know my whereabouts and check in etc.

Thanks.

Owen

Re: Leaving a vehicle

Post by Owen » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:55 pm

No point telling the cops, they won't do anything about it they just don't have the time. Witch Loch are you thinking of?

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Post by Mark Gawler » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:14 am

It’s not unheard of for the Coast Guard to be called when a vehicle is left for a few days near the coast. So making sure your CG66 informing is up to date and informing the coast guard via the approved Safetrx App, see here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=129544
Mark Gawler

pjjones00

Post by pjjones00 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:37 pm

I will be setting off from Glenfinnan onto Loch Shiel and out to sea. I have previously spent a week wild camping in that area and have been worried about leaving my car for a prolonged time.

mavave

Post by mavave » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:03 pm

(Although being a different country), i was once called by the police to give them information regarding a missing person.
While that person turned out to be sound asleep, three boats and a heli were looking for him after a surfer had called in after finding his car at a parking spot near shore and a storm coming in.
You could leave a note behind the window with your telephone number (but that could leave the car more vulnerable).

Owen

Post by Owen » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:23 pm

I'm not sure about Glenfinnan, it get very busy with holiday makes and coach tours. There is a large car park connect to the hotel, they might charge but no harm in asking. There's also the railway station. Another option is to drop off your kayaks etc. Then take the car up to Mallaig and park in in the long stay parking area, this is still only kerbside parking but there are people around. The max stay is seven days. You'd then need to catch the train back to Glenfinnan.

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:47 am

I have done this trip several times. It is most enjoyable. The hotel are very used to paddlers. If you do not stay at the hotel before or after the trip there is a small charge (I think it was £5 for 3 nights in October 2016). The hotel also ask you to leave a route plan and emergency contact numbers. We usually just trolley the kayaks down to the loch from the front of the hotel but it is a very short drive and walk back round to the slipway. The public car park beside the main road is very busy during the day with people seeking the Harry Potter viaduct. I would not leave my car there.

Have fun,
Douglas :o)

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:56 pm

Out of season, I've left my car overnight in the "Harry Potter" car park (slept there once) several times, with no issues.

As to informing police or coastguard, I've never considered doing that. Means I can change my plans without consulting anyone except those with me.

In season, the hotel car park looks a good option - thanks, Douglas, for pointing it out.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:32 pm

Another vote for the hotel, and having stayed there too can recommend it. Slightly quirky as I recall, but in a good way. When I first did the loch, we launched from a fish farm iirc. It was a little way down the loch, and they were fine with leaving the vehicle. The station car-park is very small and I suspect it wouldn't be appreciated leaving a car there.

Robert Craig

Post by Robert Craig » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:55 pm

The "Harry Potter" car park is down beside the river, on the North side of the road. You can launch straight into the river.

Station car park would be a long carry, and a bit anti-social, I agree.

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:39 pm

pjjones00

Post by pjjones00 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:49 pm

Thanks for all of the advise and help.
I emailed the hotel today and they are happy for me to leave my vehicle there for £5 a day. I looked at parking in Mallaig but the train times are not suitable and I feel I will be more relaxed with the vehicle in the hotel car park.
I just hope I get decent weather now.