J Bars

Inland paddling
Demondave

J Bars

Post by Demondave » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:38 pm

Looking at putting J Bars on my roof rack.
Any recommendations/experiences??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaverickvRS

Re: J Bars

Post by MaverickvRS » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:11 am

Get folding ones. Height barriers can be a real PITA with fixed ones...

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:07 pm

Test to make sure they fit your boats, otherwise there is no benefit over straight uprights.

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Post by Mark Gawler » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:19 pm

What sort of boat are you carrying; I only use J-Bars co composite boats. I don’t trust folding bars, just another potential point of failure.
Mark Gawler

Demondave

Post by Demondave » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:27 pm

I have a pyranha Z One and a big dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:55 pm

I prefer straight uprights - less height to lift the boat to (and less headroom needed under barriers), don't take up as much space on the roof bars, easier to strap the boat to the roof bars not just the J-bar. I've never notice any detrimental effects on any boat I've carried, including composites, polythene, WWR, slalom, sea kayaks, etc.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:16 pm

Demondave wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:27 pm
I have a pyranha Z One and a big dog.
I wouldn't bother

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:18 pm

Chris Bolton wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:55 pm
I prefer straight uprights - less height to lift the boat to (and less headroom needed under barriers), don't take up as much space on the roof bars, easier to strap the boat to the roof bars not just the J-bar. I've never notice any detrimental effects on any boat I've carried, including composites, polythene, WWR, slalom, sea kayaks, etc.
I have damaged my WWR kayak (not very tough construction), but probably more to do with the close spacing of the bars on my old car than the actual uprights, I still think the uprights are better than strapping it to flat bars! The bars happened to fall on a fibreglass part of the hull rather than a carbon/kevlar part! This weekend I will have WWR K1 and C1 strapped to uprights, but I can get a much wider spacing on this car which suits the K1 better (C1 is stronger construction and no concerns there) - I made it to Switzerland and back without damaging it in transit (only damaged in training/racing!)

I also damaged the gelcoat of my (relatively lightly built) sea kayak because it was much taller (on its side) than the bars and the top of the bars dug in - I had a similar problem with J bars though so ended up designing and building my own cradle, which I have since modified to take the WWR K1 as well. In fact I need to upgrade the cradles for the sea kayak to the same way I built the new ones for the WWR, maybe this week? Which is why I say make sure the Js suit your boats.