Reverse polarity in compasses

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Mr Ed

Reverse polarity in compasses

Post by Mr Ed » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:55 pm

Great article on UKC.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/ski ... users-5385

Worth thinking about? especially with compasses often held close to VHF on a BA or the new front day hatches where GPS, Phones, Compasses often all get parked together...

Anyone got any horror stories?

Mr Ed

seawolf856

Re: Reverse polarity in compasses

Post by seawolf856 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:25 pm

Oh blimey! I keep a conventional Silva walking compass in my PFD pocket in case I need it (I haven't got a deck compass). I also keep my PLB in a dry bag in the same pocket. I'd better check my compass to see if it is OK.

Ken_T

Post by Ken_T » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:27 am

I have seen this happen to a Silva hand compass. I always like to have at least 3 compasses in a group & if I think we may need to navigate by compass do a comparison of compasses before launching. The compass that I had reverse polarity appeared to have happened when it was in the boot of the car at the bottom of a pile of clothing.
Ken

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:51 am

Seen this several times, it doesn't seem to take much, just another compass or speaker VHF or phone. It is frightening how easy it is to reverse them back with a magnet. We always check each others and think about wind direction if in the mountains or waves on the sea.

Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:04 pm

Interesting.

One of my pet hates sea kayaking is the compass recess kayak manufacturers put in place for the Silva 70p. I just find it far too forward to be of much use as I struggle to read it so much (wear glasses but i'm not that blind). However being that far away from hopefully mobiles, GPS, VHF etc could well be a very good thing. I might have to re-consider.

My preference is a clip on compass on the deck ahead of me and a handheld expedition 4 Silva on my person. Definitely worth checking both.

Speaking of magnets a friend ran into some problems off Muck a few years back due to the magnetic anomaly marked on the chart there. He was relying on OS maps- sometimes charts really do come into their own....