Kayak Buying

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Samzxz05

Kayak Buying

Post by Samzxz05 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:02 pm

Hi guys
I am a 13 year old interested in buying my first sea kayak.
I have some experience but I am still learning. I would like something sit on top that could be used for occasional fishing and mucking about in the waves. Anyone have any tips on what to buy?
Thank you!

Mrstratos61

Re: Kayak Buying

Post by Mrstratos61 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:23 pm

Try a few at a club or dealer. It could save you making an expensive mistake. I'm an old fart at 57 with a competitive swimming and lifeguarding background. Got into kayaking late and moved rapidly from sit on to sit in. My first sea trip was frankly quite scary. I'd say go second hand but make it somethings you have tried.

Ken_T

Post by Ken_T » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:20 am

Have you looked at items for sale on this site? One problem is you may have to collect. I would recommend that you join a club, so you can paddle with experienced paddlers & maybe get some coaching.
Ken

Ceegee

Post by Ceegee » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:05 pm

You are the same age as me when I started in 1974! Join a club, get free coaching, meet nice people with cars, driving licences and roofracks, follow a coaching scheme. With disinterested parents but the support of adult club paddlers, i went through the BCU schemes to advanced sea proficiency (4*) by the time I was 18. My daughter (now 20) went one better and paddled solo and unsupported round Ireland the day she turned 18. Anything is possible, go for it, rely on the kindness of strangers, dont splash hard earned cash on expensive kit, especially a boat too early (get advice and start assembling personal kit, pdf, paddle etc first), stay safe (look for clubs with a youth coaching background and club boats to use) and ENJOY!
Cheers,
Steve C. G.