Personal Performance Awards

Inland paddling
jriddell

Personal Performance Awards

Post by jriddell » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:42 am

Time was when you couldn't move on this forum for moans about dual discipline 2* and UKCC trials. Whatever happened to those days?

http://canoescotland.org/news/british-c ... nce-awards

New Personal Performance Awards have been announced for next year
- Renamed to drop the well recognised 'star' terms
- New syllabuses not yet published
- 2* now called Paddle Explore, no longer dual discipline so it might be feasable to assess it without a whole weekend
- Stand Up Paddleboard, Polo, Racing, Rafting and Slalom. Into your competative disciplines but medals not enough for you? Now you can get an award as well. Hang on, since when was Rafting part of our sport...
- No Leadership element, no word on what happens to the Leadership awards
- Freestyle goes flat water at 3*
- The return of the touring award (for those who don't want to learn how to roll?)

exciting times

Adrian Cooper

Re: Personal Performance Awards

Post by Adrian Cooper » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:09 pm

Looks like a good dose of common sense.

I understand that these are all performance awards which extend to 'advanced conditions' which was previously the realm of 5* so the leadership awards now stand separate which many have argued for in the past. Whether there will be much demand for, for example, an advanced white water performance award without the leadership qualification remains to be seen but it is logical to have it.

Rafting is a 'paddlesport' so it has been grabbed by the NGB despite it not being 'canoeing' in any real sense, no-one is going to argue a raft is another version of a canoe are they? In France their NGB is for paddlesport so it could cover this as a logical progression.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:10 pm

Hopefully the waste of money that was the UKCC has now been consigned to the scrap heap.

RoddyMac

Post by RoddyMac » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:42 pm

Re: OP regards to the Leadership awards.
The Leadership awards were updated this year in line with the update to the coaching awards & the addition of the Paddlesports leader.
The main thing that changed was the names but there was also additional disciplines added.
4* became a "Leader" & 5* became "Advanced Leader".

andypagett

Post by andypagett » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:43 pm

Although full information isn't out yet I've had a couple of discussions with BC over the last couple of days and can answer a couple of these...
jriddell wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:42 am
- 2* now called Paddle Explore, no longer dual discipline so it might be feasable to assess it without a whole weekend
The awards are no longer based on an assessment model, so you could assess as a paddler progresses and give the award when they have reached the appropriate level. I am sure it will still be possible to do that as an 'assessment day' if you so wish.

Hopefully the lower awards will have some sort of progress card - the kids in our club can't wait to bring their Paddlepower cards to be filled in at the end of sessions, so hopefully that won't be lost with the new scheme/
Leadership awards are staying as they are now, with formal personal performance award prerequisites removed (but there are suggested minimum awards).

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:37 pm

jriddell wrote:
Into your competative disciplines but medals not enough for you? Now you can get an award as well.
On reflection, my results and ranking probably tell me far more about my competitive paddling than a personal performance award will, I think I'll stick with medals and trophies.
I bought a trophy cabinet the other day, I was amazed how quickly I filled it with the trophies that have I accumulated... :)

I mean seriously? Awards for Polo and Slalom?
I see the value of the coach support modules (is that the right term?) both for educating rec coaches in some of the specifics of those disciplines and for ensuring that slalom coaches pick up some generic teaching ideas/skills, and they seem especially useful for getting competitors into coaching.
But personal performance awards?
In polo you just need your club to pick you for a team, so you go to training, and when you are good enough your captain lets you know by selecting you to play in a tournament. For div 4 (3 in Scotland) any group can get together and form a team and enter with no previous experience needed. I'd hate to think at some point it was going to become mandatory to gain some award (unless already in a ranked team) before you can play in div 4.
In slalom again anyone can enter any div 4, usually your coach/club will start encouraging you to try when you have enough of the basic skills to make it worthwhile. There is and should be no minimum requirement though, our club has youngsters who don't really have all the skills yet who are so keen to have a go that we support them whenever we can, even if that means a coach or more experienced paddler follows them down the course for safety and moral support (which most div 4 organisers allow). Why would you need a personal performance award when your club coaches are going to let you know when you should try to progress to different courses/rapids and once ranked you ranking tells you pretty much where you are in the big scheme of things?

It kind of smells of BC trying to make money out of something that isn't really needed...

Slalom and Polo have their own unique problems which can broadly be covered by 'need more participants', I don't see how personal performance awards can possibly help with the challenges either discipline has and can't help thinking it would have been more useful for BC to research into them some more and look at possible solutions for increasing and retaining participants rather than creating new perceived barriers to participating.

jriddell

Post by jriddell » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:19 pm

Adrian Cooper wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:10 pm
Hopefully the waste of money that was the UKCC has now been consigned to the scrap heap.
Ah there's the old attitude back :)

Of course star/performance awards never were UKCC. And the new coach awards are still UKCC.

garya

Post by garya » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:56 pm

The Introduction of the Paddlesport Leader Award is a welcome addition to strengthen the training and leadership skills of those who only operate in a flat/sheltered water environment.

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:01 pm

Nothing to moan about from me as it has absolutely no relevance to the paddling I do or the people I paddle with.

I honestly don't care who they give bits of paper to or for what.

I'm only a member of the BCU (or whatever it's called now) because I can't find a cheaper way to insure my kit.....

D
Jackson Nirvana, BMW F650GS...

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:26 am

jriddell wrote:
- Renamed to drop the well recognised 'star' terms
No more explaining the an arcane and boy scout like structure to any one outside paddling. The loss of the name "star awards" is long over due.
jriddell wrote:
- New syllabuses not yet published
An interesting question. Still they do have 5 months to sort that out before the delivery of these courses start.
jriddell wrote:
I would imagine that each award would be a single day of assessment, at the most.
jriddell wrote:
- Stand Up Paddleboard, Polo, Racing, Rafting and Slalom. Into your competative disciplines but medals not enough for you? Now you can get an award as well. Hang on, since when was Rafting part of our sport...
For recreational level paddlers, awards that reflect their progression are of course desirable whether in competitive disciplines or not. For BC, having a clear pathway from beginner to performer is important to indicate how people start and may perhaps become Olympic champions. Rafting has been under the scope of BC and the ICF's activities for some time. If you use a paddle, they are claiming it.
jriddell wrote:
The leadership awards were re-branded last year. There has not been any personal performance awards beyond 3 Star for over a decade.
jriddell wrote:
- Freestyle goes flat water at 3*
That's what the kids do first, flat water moves, and given that the UK is not blessed with play features everywhere, it is important to provide access to learning where you can.
jriddell wrote:
- The return of the touring award (for those who don't want to learn how to roll?)
Not everyone wishes to fall out of their boat, and as boat designs have focused on accessibility and easy of use for some time, most recreational touring paddles should not need to feel a roll is desired, as the boats they paddle tend not to fall over. Plus most open cockpit kayak are not easy to roll, and equally not easy to capsize.

Andy H

Post by Andy H » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:32 pm

You can choose to or choose not to but at the end of the day having more choice is surely a good thing.

I dont want to walk into a shop and see Three T-shirts on the rail, I want to see Thirty T-shirts on the rail and choose the one that suits me.

Get the picture? Embrace the choice.

Cheers Andy, Feeling the love.
The true challenge is allways within oneself

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:58 pm

I agree that picking and choosing is good from one perspective but it makes it potentially difficult for commercial providers to obtain all the 'necessary' qualifications to offer a full spectrum of courses; but maybe it was always like this?

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:03 pm

What about when there are 30 T Shirts in the catalogue, but only 10 in the shop because the manufacturer only has the skills/equipment to make those 10......

D
Jackson Nirvana, BMW F650GS...

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:12 am

I like the look of the new system, although I suspect people are weary of change since they've recently changed the system too many times over too brief a period.
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

andynormancx

Post by andynormancx » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:35 am

I'm not convinced on the naming, seems much more confusing and arcane than the star naming. With the stars progression was obvious 1..2..3

It is never going to be obvious to me, from first principles, which of Explore or Discover is the more advanced !

Start at least is clear ;)

John K

Post by John K » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:26 am

TechnoEngineer wrote:I like the look of the new system, although I suspect people are weary of change since they've recently changed the system too many times over too brief a period.
When were the star awards last changed? It’s been a while, certainly more than five years and possibly nearer ten?

Changing 4* to a leadership qualification probably seemed like a good idea at the time, but was probably a mistake with hindsight. The newly named Leader awards correct this and it seems sensible to update the personal paddling awards now.

The outgoing dual craft 2* seems to have upset some people, although I know that a lot of people found out that they actually enjoy canoeing as a direct result of being “forced” to have a go. You’ll never please everyone!

I think that dropping the “star” naming is probably a mistake, but I’m sure we’ll all get used to the new names.

With fewer prerequisites for coaching and leading being required under the latest system it looks like the personal paddling awards will be just for personal satisfaction (and arguably will be less relevant than ever).

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:58 am

Changing 4* to a leadership qualification probably seemed like a good idea at the time, but was probably a mistake with hindsight. The newly named Leader awards correct this and it seems sensible to update the personal paddling awards now.
I think the perception of what leadership is can vary. I see leadership as a personal skill, not a coaching skill. Leadership is something you learn how to do and then do it, while coaching is about developing skills in others. There seems to me to be a tendency to regard the Leader awards as coaching. In many cases, leaders are also coaches, but they are different skills.

John K

Post by John K » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:47 pm

There’s always going to be an overlap but I think that the current system differentiates very clearly between personal paddling, leadership and coaching.

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:33 pm

John K wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:26 am
With fewer prerequisites for coaching and leading being required under the latest system it looks like the personal paddling awards will be just for personal satisfaction (and arguably will be less relevant than ever).
Given that over time the general quality of performer coming to coach has improved in terms of where they are paddling, the substance that underpins many paddlers performance is often said to be sparse. During coach and leadership training courses, revisiting fundamentals of paddling is not uncommon, in some cases this can be the first time paddlers have had their own paddling examined since starting to paddle.

I would hope that the new performance awards would help paddlers get more help earlier on, especially as these awards have no age restrictions. There is a concern of course with the wide scope of potential new providers and the lack of a community of practise to engage with, to ensure common themes can be addressed, areas of development and new ideas are shared.