Flying with Emirates

Inland paddling
Mantaray

Flying with Emirates

Post by Mantaray » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:14 pm

Has anyone had any recent experience of flying their kayak with Emirates?

I left my Remix behind on a recent trip to Austria because, according to their website, travelling with sports equipment comes out of your usual baggage allowance - in usual cases it's 30kg. My boat weighs 20kg and my kit at least 12kg and then there's some clothing on top of that. If you read how much they charge for excess baggage it becomes quite uneconomic to fly with your kayak.

Interested to learn what people's experiences are.
AKA Cosmic

LucyLou19

Re: Flying with Emirates

Post by LucyLou19 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:58 am

Excellent experience flying with them to Lusaka

Mantaray

Post by Mantaray » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:19 am

Hey LucyLou - would you care to elaborate? I'm genuinely interested to find out if people end up paying any more in excess baggage. What boat did you take? How much kit? How many bags in total? What do you think your total baggage weight was? Did you have to contact them early on before going to the airport or booking your ticket?
AKA Cosmic

Poke

Post by Poke » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:12 pm

LucyLou19 wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:58 am
Excellent experience flying with them to Lusaka
When did you go?
They were great until a couple of years ago, when they changed their policy to the much less kayak friendly one they have now.
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

LucyLou19

Post by LucyLou19 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:23 am

Late 2016, mah have been before the change, and we did only have playboats and summer paddling kit as it was Zambia , but 30kg in weight (take as much as you like baggage wise in as many different pieces up to 30kg) is all you need for Zambia totally !

LucyLou19

Post by LucyLou19 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:25 am

We had 3 of us, they let us pool our luggage so the girls with slightly heavier boats used some of my luggage allowance, 90kg between 3 was 3 boats, 4 paddles, paddling kit bags and personal kit, maybe 10 pieces of luggage total plus hand luggage

Poke

Post by Poke » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:07 pm

Looks like its not weight thats the issue..
https://www.emirates.com/english/help/faq/214958/baggage-allowances-for-sports-equipment wrote:Individual items with total dimensions exceeding 300cm (118 inches) cannot be transported as checked baggage, and must be sent as cargo or freight. There are no exceptions to this rule.
So, whilst they say they take kayaks, you can only really take playboats (200cm + 65cm +35cm = 300cm total). This rule scuppers it for creekboats if you had a jobsworth on the desk..

Can't remember when this rule came into force though. Think it was probably 2014/5 kind of time. I've not flown with them since. I'm sure people will have, but it just comes down to the discretion of whoever is on the check-in desk. If they say no, you don't have a leg to stand on.

gingerballer

Post by gingerballer » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:53 pm

Fly with emirates all the time (twice a month or so) for work, am almost always carrying heavy/large equipment, most recently 110kgs of scientific equipment.

Also use them for bikes, skis, and kayaks every now and again.

Yes - they are much stricter now. A few years ago, I would have turned up early, been really nice to the check in people and winged it - 99% of the time it was fine. Nowadays its a case of play by the rules or dont fly. Excess baggage is charged at around $40 a kilo if booked in advance, slightly more on the day. You will pay this twice if your flight uses another airline, or you will pay another fee and it will be a nightmare.

What I have noticed is that the check in desk people are much more likely to phone it up to a supervisor, than to just wave it through nowadays. They also seem much more likely to weigh and size check the hand luggage, and also have become wise to the "prop up the kayak with your foot while its on the scales to take a bit of weight off" trick.

Flying with creek boats is pretty much not worth the hassle any more - much better to pick something up there, and sell it on when you are done.

Emirates are still my preference to fly with though innit. Nice planes, occasional upgrades and dubai aiport is an alright hub. All airlines pretty much suck if you are trying to move something big/heavy.

Mantaray

Post by Mantaray » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:53 am

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Hmmm...looks like I'm scuppered with Emirates, as I really want to take my Remix next time. I think Turkish will fly boats but that means flying from here to Istanbul then getting a connecting flight which will add another couple of hours minimum to the journey. Then there's the risk of it being misplaced in transit. I actually prefer it when airlines ask you to pay for sports equipment, as it makes it a bit clearer then.
The crew managed to bring an extra boat with them this year but don't think that will be an option next year.
AKA Cosmic

Poke

Post by Poke » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:18 pm

Turkish were pretty good last time I flew with them.
Shouldn't worry about the boat being lost in transit. They're pretty big and obvious so can't go missing easily! I've flown dozens of times and it's only once been the case that there was "no space on the plane" so it got bounced to the flight the following day.
Since I wasn't planning to stay around the airport (Delhi), they said they'd ship it to wherever I was heading the following day (Manali, a 15hr bus ride away). I was skeptical, but the next day, there it was, with all kit still intact. The same has happened to a friend too (Peru, they got it from Lima to Arequipa via a connecting internal flight with a different airline).

clarky999

Post by clarky999 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:48 pm

From Austria you say? Just fly Easyjet and call it a windsurfer.

Mantaray

Post by Mantaray » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:20 am

clarky999 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:48 pm
From Austria you say? Just fly Easyjet and call it a windsurfer.
If only it were that easy! I'm Dubai based right now so need to look into these options.
AKA Cosmic

Mantaray

Post by Mantaray » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:24 am

Poke wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:18 pm
Turkish were pretty good last time I flew with them.
Shouldn't worry about the boat being lost in transit. They're pretty big and obvious so can't go missing easily! I've flown dozens of times and it's only once been the case that there was "no space on the plane" so it got bounced to the flight the following day.
Since I wasn't planning to stay around the airport (Delhi), they said they'd ship it to wherever I was heading the following day (Manali, a 15hr bus ride away). I was skeptical, but the next day, there it was, with all kit still intact. The same has happened to a friend too (Peru, they got it from Lima to Arequipa via a connecting internal flight with a different airline).
Thanks, Poke. Yeah I flew Turkish once with mine and my son's kit bags and paddles but not boats. Even then I think we were over the limit but they were great and didn't quibble.
On my recent trip to Austria I flew into Munich and drove to the Landeck region (about 3 hours). Emirates didn't get my kit bag on the same flight but managed to get it to me the next morning. It was a worry though especially when the lady on the bag desk asked how long I'd be there for - I replied "1 week" and then she said "So we've got a week to get it to you, then..." Errr...
AKA Cosmic

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”