paddle, camp anywhere september

Hook up with other paddlers
Big Les

paddle, camp anywhere september

Post by Big Les » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:10 am

Hi
I've managed to get time away from the family and would like to paddle and camp.
The dates I have are from 16th until the 21st September 2018. I live in the south east of England but am prepared to drive any distance.
Ideally I would like to do firth of Clyde, Arran etc but its a long drive and subsequent small window.
The alternatives are Anglesey or Cornwall/Devon north or south or Pembroke.
I know it's a bit vague but I don't tend to have hard fast plans as weather can dictate where I go or ruin the chances completely.
I have done a few trips in Cornwall and Devon and regularly paddle around Beachy head and the rivers of East Sussex.
I have an old poly P&H Capela with square hatches which is a bit heavy but holds all my gear and nice and stable and reasonable speed.
I am not flash and do not have new gear, tending to buy 2nd hand and repair as required. I often use a Greenland stick and am building a ply shrike but its not going to be ready this year.
I'm happy to do cold and rough weather but would like some time on flat mill pond to chill and be mellow.
If you have any plans around that time and are ok for a novice to join to get away from it all, please let me know.
I have spare gear. A few spare kayaks for white water to day trippers so we could meet and do an over night if you can pack light.
I have vhf short range licence and carry safety gear always.
Big Les

SteveBonham

Re: paddle, camp anywhere september

Post by SteveBonham » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:23 pm

Hi,

I am a available to paddle from 17th to 21st. I have an battered old NDK Romany. I sometimes paddle with a Greenland Stick, sometimes a EuroBlade. I have 3*Sea Kayak but my roll is unreliable-working on it this summer. I have a campervan and could travel anywhere you suggest. Happy to leave a decision until weather conditions are know. Note I will be on Mendip (Somerset) Caving 15th/16th September so the West Country or South Wales would be convenient. I prefer just to park up and avoid campsite fees. I live in the East Midlands. Ideally I would like to get together for a paddle and rescue practises before committing to a week of paddling with you. Could you be available for at least a few hours?

kyle-g

Post by kyle-g » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:53 pm

I might have some free time around then. If you come up with a plan please let me know. sea kayak leader trained with all own kit and happy with most journey types.

let me know

Big Les

Post by Big Les » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:00 am

kyle-g wrote:I might have some free time around then. If you come up with a plan please let me know. sea kayak leader trained with all own kit and happy with most journey types.

let me know
Sorry have been away. I'm waiting for answer from old friend on Isle of Arran which might not be fruitful but still plan on going up there as I don't get this much time away to do my own stuff. Plan, still dependant on weather ; drive up as far north as close to Glasgow as I can early on 17th Sept, check weather, aim away from nasty stuff (could be locks or sea) camp for as many days I have left until Friday morning on road south. In between; paddle to secluded areas, marvel at nature, eat, drink and be merry.

Sent from my 5045X using Tapatalk

Big Les

Post by Big Les » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:04 am

Big Les wrote:
kyle-g wrote:I might have some free time around then. If you come up with a plan please let me know. sea kayak leader trained with all own kit and happy with most journey types.

let me know
Sorry have been away. I'm waiting for answer from old friend on Isle of Arran which might not be fruitful but still plan on going up there as I don't get this much time away to do my own stuff. Plan, still dependant on weather ; drive up as far north as close to Glasgow as I can early on 17th Sept, check weather, aim away from nasty stuff (could be locks or sea) camp for as many days I have left until Friday morning on road south. In between; paddle to secluded areas, marvel at nature, eat, drink and be merry.

Wrong start date; 16th, from Essex heading north. Maybe pm to share tel or emails as I don't get notifications on this forum.

Big Les

Post by Big Les » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:07 am

update, no answer from arran contact, after advice from locals and review of online blogs/trips etc ive decided to avoid the open ocean and am going to Loch Lomond, safer in comparison to traffic on the firth of clyde (anyone want to buy an imray chart c63!, maybe next year) and more reliable with weather and camping spots.
if anyone wants to join me im driving up late on the 15th sept from Stanford le hope, Essex after a nephews party (orange juice and energy drink for me).
bimble around on Lomond, camp out in various locations and back to car and head home on the 21st.
I need to chill, I work in the NHS....