NDK Pilgrim- max weight etc.

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
huskytone65

NDK Pilgrim- max weight etc.

Post by huskytone65 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:33 pm

I`m thinking of an NDK Pilgrim as like reviews etc. I`m 5`6 & about 12 stone (76 kg)anyone any idea if this would be suitable or too small? Paddled a standard Avocet for many years amongst many other kayaks which was perfect for me? Thanks in advance!!

kitty*hawk

Re: NDK Pilgrim- max weight etc.

Post by kitty*hawk » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:54 pm

Hi, The Pilgrim is aimed at paddlers weighing up to 140lbs. I am 5ft 7 and weigh about 9 stone, size 10-12, and it is snug!
There is more detailed info on weight etc on the Sea Kayak USA website (I couldn't find this info on SKUK website). Hope this helps, Ellie

ron-t

Post by ron-t » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:12 pm

ron-t

Post by ron-t » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:16 am

Ooops - sorry - no it isn`t - I didn`t read the posts properly.

TheEcho

Post by TheEcho » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:24 am

It will depend on how you carry your weight. I am 150lb 5’6” and it fits me better than the Romany, but if you have cyclist’s thighs the cockpit will feel too small.

If you are above the design weight I guess it will restrict the amount of heavy gear you can carry for an expedition without the boat beginning to misbehave.

Irish Sea

Post by Irish Sea » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:33 pm

I'm 5'9 and about 75kg and paddled the Pilgrim Exped. quite a bit which as far as I know is identical with the regular Pilgrim in terms of cockpit fit. It fits me very well and I find it quite comfy with the knee bumps. Works better for me than a Romany. Only problem for me is that the cockpit is quite short so I struggle to get my legs in and out will seated. Once I'm in I'm grand :) The Pilgrim Expedition is definately big enough for me for either daytours or even weekends with (lightish) camping gear. For the regular Pilgrim I'd say ok for daytrips but you probably can't bring much in terms of gear.