Help! I've cracked my Paddle

One blade only
hugozero

Help! I've cracked my Paddle

Post by hugozero » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:01 pm

I've cracked my trusty Grey Owl Chieftain paddle. Its my pride & joy and even tho I have several paddles, its the one I like best & use most. Its cherry, oiled finished and the split is 4 inches long approx 1 inch from blade edge about 4 inches down from the throat. I've seen YT videos of how to use epoxy glue on broken paddles but that's where they are completely broken and there have been 2 x bits to glue back together. Any advice gratefully received.

Chris Bolton

Re: Help! I've cracked my Paddle

Post by Chris Bolton » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:22 pm

I think I would try to run a thin epoxy resin into the crack, but there are a few things to consider. How deep into the surface has the oil penetrated? Epoxy won't adhere well to oiled wood. I'm taking your description to mean the crack is along the grain, but I'm not clear whether the crack is entirely within the blade or whether it reaches the top edge? It it reaches the edge, it may be work seeing if you can open it up a bit by inserting a knife blade or a thin spike. Epoxy is more runny when warm, so warming it may help - but warming too much could make it flash set. I'd be tempted to find a bit of scrap wood, make a crack and experiment on that before you risk the paddle!

hugozero

Post by hugozero » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:50 pm

Thanks Chris. The crack is along the grain and although i said oil finish that was to differentiate it from varnish finish - I haven't actually re-oiled it for a couple of months since when its seen a lot of action. I can open it up about 1mm at the blade edge so if I can get some epoxy into the gap the tension should be enough with some tape added to pull it in tight while it sets. Fingers crossed!

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:57 pm

OK, I'd wedge something into the gap, lay the paddle flat with a gap below the crack and something it can drip on below that, lay masking tape on the top surface down the sides of the crack (just to reduce the amount of cleaning up) and then try to run in West 105. Once it's on, warm it gently with a hair dryer to see if that will help it run in. Don't tape the underside until the resin comes through, or you'll trap air in the crack. When the crack is as full as you can get it, pull out the wedge and put a strap round the paddle to pull it tight. Once it's cured, sand the surface flush and re-oil it.

Chris C

Post by Chris C » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:16 pm

I fixed my Grey Owl which had a similar crack along the grain, I sanded down the finish to get the varnish off and used strong wood glue, clamped it over night until cured. wipe off any excess to save sanding/ chiseling afterwards, I then oiled it with several coats (danish or linseed can't remember what was in the workshop at the time) giving time to penetrate the wood and rubbing the excess off between coats and a fine sand once dry before applying the next coat.

The paddle repair was hardly noticeable and lasted many years afterwards until I snapped the shaft and is set aside for something else

Hope this helps