Carrying Systems Advice

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
spenseakayaking

Carrying Systems Advice

Post by spenseakayaking » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:37 am

Morning all, looking for some advice please.

I will be storing my boat at a house by the coast and the challenge I have is that I will always be visiting in a hire car. So really need to keep a universal carrying system with the boat at the house that’s interchangeable between different makes of cars.

Plan to make reasonably short trips to various launching sites.

Are the inflatable bars any good? Not sure how they fix and securing the boat also?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Cheers

Chris Bolton

Re: Carrying Systems Advice

Post by Chris Bolton » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:22 pm

Hi Spence,

I've used an inflatable rack to carry skis, and they were OK for that but I wouldn't want to use one for a sea kayak. They are only fixed at the sides, and can slide a bit in between (a) you need to avoid any sand or grit on the roof (tricky with a sea kayak) or you end up scratching it (b) a long and relatively heavy kayak will tend to move more than skis.

I hired a car in Canada and used a rental roof rack from Algonquin Outfitters, which worked very well. It was a steel crossbar, a bit wider than the roof, with steel legs, and substantial ethaform pads (maybe 15-20cm square) between the legs and the roof. A standard canoe strap was then looped over the bar, in through the door, under the roof and out through the other door, round the bar and back. Tightening this pulled the bar down tight to the roof so that there was enough friction to ensure the pads didn't move. The boats were then tied to the rack with 3mm nylon cord - yes, that was all - but the purpose was only to stop them slipping sideways. The main attachment for the boats was with straps from the ends of the boats down to the chassis - this was done using straps with steel S hooks, taking them under the bumper and finding a suitable hole in the chassis to hook to. This was extremely solid, and the boats didn't move an inch, nor did it leave any marks on the hire car. Picture below, sorry about the image quality and the hat hanging on the end of the bars!

spenseakayaking

Re: Carrying Systems Advice

Post by spenseakayaking » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:24 am

Chris,

Thanks for the response.

I really get what you’re saying about the inflatable bars, I’m always nervous whenever I’m carrying my boat as it is.

I think I’ll look for a universal rack like you had on your hire car.

Cheers,

Spence