Guil Secret Gorge

Announce and discuss
kayaksession

Guil Secret Gorge

Post by kayaksession » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:31 am

The mythic and secret gorges of the Guil will be flowing for the Durance white water sessions 2018!
Take advantage of the festival to find paddling partners to run that section, or, to set up a group and discover this world class run! Possibilities to hire a guide from "les vagues à bonds kayak school" to discover this section.
Informations/Clinics Creeking-Freeride
http://durancefestival.com/clinics/

Cam

Re: Guil Secret Gorge

Post by Cam » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:04 pm

Does this gorge not normally run?

dbpmagazineonline

Post by dbpmagazineonline » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:15 am

I believe this is the one below the barrage that could end very badly if the barrage were to dump water in a spectacular fashion down them (but equally needs some water coming down)

ShawnMerritt

Post by ShawnMerritt » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:03 am

dbpmagazineonline wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:15 am
I believe this is the one below the barrage that could end very badly if the barrage were to dump water in a spectacular fashion down them (but equally needs some water coming down)
I'm confused now. Is it safe? We're a group of four paddling partners and wanted to be there.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:18 pm

I'm confused now. Is it safe?
The festival itself is on the Durance and is a safe as any river is. The 'secret gorge' is, I think, the section of the Guil below the barrage, which is rarely paddled (and not recommended in the guidebook) - the festival just gives people who want to try it the opportunity to find somebody to paddle it with.

Poke

Post by Poke » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:59 am

As has been said above, the Durance festival was on the Durance – I assume based at the Rab.

The Guil gorge is the section below the "barrage de la Maison du Roy" (below the "middle Guil section"). It does get paddled, but many years ago, I heard a group of paddlers were caught in a large release of water from the dam with some fatalities which means you'll rarely see it recommended.

This year around the time of the festival, the barrage was fully opened and the lake above drained, so the section below was "safe" (from a dam release point of view), which I assume is why the organisers were promoting that as a way to attract more experienced boaters to the event.
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures