Pyranha Ripper Small?

Inland paddling
KaitsuH

Pyranha Ripper Small?

Post by KaitsuH » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:05 am

Hello!

Has anyone paddled Pyranha Ripper small? My wife is very interested in it, but no possibilities to test. For my eyes it very narrow and long.

KaitsuH

gp.girl

Re: Pyranha Ripper Small?

Post by gp.girl » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:24 pm

Not that I'm good enough to use it properly but it's quick, easy to roll and pretty stable. The first thing I did with it was launch down a 10 foot ramp with a kicker and go flying landing stern first with a silly grin! Pyranha do have a demo boat and sort of important to demo one.....which you already know :(
I can roll :)

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:49 pm

gp.girl wrote:easy to roll
Does this mean you'll finally close the other bloody thread that's been running for time immemorial???

:-)

D

Jackson Nirvana, BMW F650GS...

gp.girl

Post by gp.girl » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:49 pm

Chalky723 wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:49 pm
gp.girl wrote:easy to roll
Does this mean you'll finally close the other bloody thread that's been running for time immemorial???

:-)

D
I proved it by rolling it! ;) :) Still crap at rolling, taking a break at the moment, just spending time upside down holding my breath.

EDIT sorry about the off topic
I can roll :)

Jfoster25

Post by Jfoster25 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:59 pm

I have just returned from the Alps where I've been paddling my small ripper on grade 3-4 for 2 weeks, personally, I couldn't have been happier with it. the boat is super fun, fast and responsive.

Compared to other smaller boats like the small axiom, the small ripper is still 9 foot long compared to an axioms 8 and due to the bow pretty much being the same as a 9R, with my ok boof stroke I was able to fly over all holes and stoppers.

Even though it's the small boat it doesn't feel it nor did it ever feel too big.
personally, I had an amazing time with it.

I also made a review a few months ago when I was able to demo one, the video might also help:

KaitsuH

Post by KaitsuH » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:24 pm

Thank you very much for your reviews!

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:05 pm

We took a Ripper to Slovenia recently and quite a few of us tried it at various times, it seemed to get good reports from most but a couple saying they didnt like it.
I'm undecided myself as the pricetag is quite a lot, it took me a while to get used to it as the water grabs the stern but after a while I was smashing into eddys and surfing it dead easy. We all came to the conclusion that if you could only afford 1 boat then it was a good boat to get but if you could afford a creeker and a smaller boat then its not the boat to get.
Personally I would like a creek boat that reacts similarly so I could paddle it in bigger water without expectation of occasionally getting it wrong. It was superfast though thats for sure.
If you havent tried it I suggest you do before you fork out loads of money
Mark

tomcrow99

Post by tomcrow99 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:25 pm

I tried a medium one a while back and had similar veiws to Mark. Might be good as an only boat but really couldn't see a scenario where it could justify its cost as i already own a decent creeker and a Dagger juice. I also found it quite uncomfortable.

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:25 pm

I've demoed one a few times, and now I own one. Also demoed the medium, but went for the small. From various reports of who is paddling the different sizes it would appear that the Ripper will actually deal with a much higher paddler weight than the paper specs say.

Frankly I think it's one of the best white water boats ever made. It is ludicrously fast. I'm making attainments I could only previously do in my slalom boat.

I haven't had any issues of the stern catching. I forget it is there until I need it. But you will need to be a positive paddler and be edge aware. But the tail needs to be seen as a tool, like it is in a slalom boat, not a hindrance. It isn't just for play, but opens up loads of moves not possible in a creeker.

neonbowhawk

Post by neonbowhawk » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:27 pm

Looking forward to you doing a proper review of the small, Simon MW . Its a boat im quite interested in also

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:21 pm

My review.
https://kayakjournal.wordpress.com/2018 ... -kayaking/

While I own the boat in the review, I demoed the Ripper a number of times before I bought one, so my review isn't this positive just because I bought one! It was a fairly big decision for me to ditch my creek boat in favour of a boat such as this. But it really grabbed me.

neonbowhawk

Post by neonbowhawk » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:17 pm

Nice review. Im even more interested now !