Tiderace Xceed - first impressions

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
JulesT

Tiderace Xceed - first impressions

Post by JulesT » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:36 am

I was kindly lent a new Tiderace Xceed on demo by Simon of South Coast Canoes. Sitting in the kayak and looking down at the foredeck I was immediately reminded of the Xcape with considerable volume around the knee positions. Turning the kayak over, the underhull looked like a stretched version of the Xcite with less rocker and smoothed subtle chines. The overall appearance was striking and with a high quality finish. The construction seemed very robust aided by the 3D curved surfaces. I'm about 85kg, 6 foot tall with long legs and I fitted perfectly in the cockpit. In my Xcite I struggle for footroom but the extra volume in the Xceed meant I could easily wear chunky boots if required.

Paddling down the estuary from Christchurch there was plenty of opportunity to test manoeverability. Initial stability was fine but the secondary stability was amazing and that's where the volume on the seamless line between deck and underhull must be working. So one can really edge the kayak with confidence for tight turns. Moving out into the open sea I was greeted with a south easterly bf 2-3 and short wavelength 2-3 foot waves. Like other Tiderace kayaks the Xceed felt alive and I was soon making good headway against the conditions and steadily drawing away from my fellow paddlers. Turning downwind the Xceed easily picked up the following sea for some good rides. After a break for lunch the tide was now flooding and the tiderace off Hengistbury head beckoned. Often when one tries a new kayak there are some reservations but I felt totally comfortable and confident in the conditions, the kayak doing exactly what I wanted.

IMHO the Xceed will fulfill its role admirably as a top quality expedition or day trip sea kayak.
Jules

RichJ

Re: Tiderace Xceed - first impressions

Post by RichJ » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:38 pm

Hi there!
Well, clearly a fabulous design! There again, the pedigree of design from Tiderace is second to none.
Now, hypothetically speaking, ... Don't think my wife uses this site... And cutting to the 'chase', how much? Waiting times? And should I bust it...because I will, do Tiderace/Nelo have 'fixers' ?
Sorry to be so basic but that for me is essential.

Rich

JulesT

Post by JulesT » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:16 pm

Hi RichJ - sorry I can't really help with your questions - perhaps you could go on the Facebook groups and ask your questions there: 'Team Tiderace' and 'Tiderace Sea Kayaks'
Jules

Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:20 am

JulesT just out of interest have you any commercial interest in the product?

The tiderace website looks a bit out of date at the moment.

Mr Ed

JulesT

Post by JulesT » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:29 am

Hi Mr Ed - certainly not, I'm considering other kayaks, happened to be in the area at the time and had been eagerly looking forward to trying the Xceed.
Jules