Wavesport Hydra review

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Water addict

Wavesport Hydra review

Post by Water addict » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:08 pm

So I’ve just received my new hydra after much pondering and debate of which kayak to go for. I had previously narrowed my choice down to either the hydra or Daggers stratos and decided to go with the hydra mainly because it has a day hatch and the outfitting looks slightly better to me. After taking it for its first day trip I couldn’t of asked for better conditions 3-4 ft rolling waves with a gentle swell out back. It paddled out perfectly cutting through the waves and it felt really stable and quiet fast. I got behind the break and had a quick tour along the coast and soon realised that it takes some turning which will be fine if you are touring but if you want to spin around quickly between waves then I feel a little more rocker would be better. Anyway it was time to see how it surfed. As the wave I choose approached two good paddle strokes and I was shifting then having to slow the boat down so as not to outrun the wave. Because the chines start quite far back the front can be released for good direction changes. The seat is comfortable but I feel it would be better if you could ratchet the back band tighter while on the water. Also for me the hip pads could do with more shape. The Skeg operates smoothly and seems well engineered however I didn’t need to use it. The hatches stayed dry and I really like having safety equipment in the day hatch. Overall I think this is great as a one quiver type kayak especially if you do more touring than playing but it’s still a lot of fun on the surf and I still have a big smile on my face. Hope this helps anyone considering buying one.

Sam Sandwich

Re: Wavesport Hydra review

Post by Sam Sandwich » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:53 am

I agree entirely with your thoughts about the Hydra. Thats why Im avoiding it. Its quick in a straight line, but too stable and too 'big' a cockpit for me.

I wrote this piece on paddling.com (with misspellings groan) I actually think the Stratos is still a very good boat in comparison and has the rocker to turn but is slower.

https://paddling.com/reviews/product/hy ... ew-432132/
To see a world in a grain of sand

simon64

Re: Wavesport Hydra review

Post by simon64 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:28 pm

Thanks for the reviews, I was thinking of changing my Stratos for one of these, the thing I like about the Stratos is its agility, so maybe I would be disappointed with the Hydra, will still try and demo one though.