Cockpit rim repair

Riding the waves
Jim Tait

Cockpit rim repair

Post by Jim Tait » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:03 pm

I have an old boat that is needing a repair along the cockpit rim; an area of 3 or 4 inches is all cracked and flexible, as opposed to being rigid.
Whats the best way to repair this and keep the correct curves?
I assume I'll have to chop this bit out, and rebuild it somehow?

Thanks,
Jim

Colin C

Re: Cockpit rim repair

Post by Colin C » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:10 pm

Jim, post this on the WW section and srea as more traffic as well as fiberglass experts, such as Jim Wallis, is it the gel or the glass that , or both that are damaged?

Colin

Jim Tait

Post by Jim Tait » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:05 am

Will do... I think it's both that's gone

Daker

Post by Daker » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:45 am

Can you not just slap a patch of glass on top, job done ?
With a bit of care in prep / sanding it shouldn't be terribly obvious and you can add as many layers as you feel necessary.

antbjanne

Post by antbjanne » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:02 pm

You could use something as a former to bridge the soft section,a piece of copper or stainless tubing bent to the correct profile or even a length of flexible hose. I've also made formers up out of sheet metal to match the cockpit rim and shape the repair,depends on how badly damaged it is and how aesthetic a repair you want. I'd imagine not too fussed with how it looks just a strong repair?

Then,with former in place its a straightforward repair,dig/grind out the loose stuff,prep and repair with tape/resin.
Tony

goatboy

Post by goatboy » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:41 pm

antbjanne wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:02 pm
You could use something as a former to bridge the soft section,a piece of copper or stainless tubing bent to the correct profile or even a length of flexible hose.
I've had success using a length of garden hosepipe as a former. It helped greatly in making an entire replacement carbon-kevlar cockpit.

It's also one of the few things epoxy resin doesn't adhere to (this may depend on the type, of course!)

G.B.