Tor vs marsport Epsilon / Raven

Marathon, Freestyle, Polo, Slalom, Sprint, WWR, Surf, etc.
toast

Tor vs marsport Epsilon / Raven

Post by toast » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:21 am

Hi,

I’m trying to figure out the difference in paddling experience between these 3 boats. So far most people have said something along of the lines of “they feel different, some people prefer one over the other” 
Doubt I would be able to try all 3 of them (or 2, not really considering the raven, unless anyone here says differently).
Has anyone tried them, and able to give a bit of an idea what the difference really is?
On one website (DC paddlers) it seems to indicate that even though they have a similar stability ratings the marsport Epsilon has a more rounded hull and that this would give a slightly different reactions in waves?

Hengle

Re: Tor vs marsport Epsilon / Raven

Post by Hengle » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:06 pm

The Epilison was a development from the Raven, it has lost the wings and has more volume in the deck but the hull shape is unchanged - lighter paddlers prefer the Raven, Heavier prefer the Epilison, Heavier still like the Epilison Excel

The Tor is very different - lots more rocker so can be harder to control, the low seat combined with the rocker can lift your heels very high, Narrower that the Marsport versions so slightly less stable but possibly marginally quicker. The amount of rocker means setting the trim appropriately is more important. size wise its bigger than the Epilison and Raven

All great boats and each have a following that believe their boat is best, so you are back to try try try

toast

Re: Tor vs marsport Epsilon / Raven

Post by toast » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:19 pm

thanks a lot, that's at least given me much more of an idea. Fairly heavy so I'll skip on the raven, not that heavy that I quite think I need an excel, i have paddled the Tor for a bit, will see if i can try an epsilon