An odd question regarding length and suitability

Inland paddling
eastupper93

An odd question regarding length and suitability

Post by eastupper93 » Wed May 30, 2018 7:35 pm

Used to have a pyranha fusion which went in the divorce, mainly inland touring with the odd river , harbour etc. What I'm asking is what is the shortest kayak similar to the fusion that I can use for these waters without spinning on a sixpence constantly ? Reason for this question is that now I have an apartment and anything over 2.9m is not going to make it round stairwell. Any kayak suggestions welcomed, not fussed if it's secondhand etc , just needs to be short as poss but fairly straight cruising. I'm 6ft and 13.5 stone

Mrstratos61

Re: An odd question regarding length and suitability

Post by Mrstratos61 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:16 pm

Islander fiesta would do for length. Or perception Sundance.

eastupper93

Post by eastupper93 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:18 pm

Thought as much. Thank you, although Dagger GTX max looks a possibility?

Mike79

Post by Mike79 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:49 pm

A GTX is a white-water boat. If you want to consider those then there are many that you can easily carry up the stairs but they will be a little less stable and a bit more 'spinny' than the rec/tourer type boats. That said, you'd very soon get used to it and paddle straight no problem.

eastupper93

Post by eastupper93 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:57 pm

Thanks I was hoping that , as it's far more practical for me up the stairs ! . It's just knowing what to look for on the larger white water boats without being too uncontrollable

Mike79

Post by Mike79 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:14 pm

As far a WW boats go (I do think that's a great option) something like a club spec MX would be a good bet for not too much money:

http://www.whitewaterthecanoecentre.co. ... 2655-p.asp

It will take you a couple of hours to get used to - then you're all good to bob around anywhere you want. Inevitably these type of boats are less efficient on flat water than a touring boat but for your situation that's an inevitable pay-off for the length.

You can find no end of used WW boats here or on facebook. They always come in sizes - you're always going to want the large and you'll want one of the (relatively) longer, fatter looking boats. I's going to be 8.5 - 9' long. Avoid the really short ones (less than 8') even if they are for your weight - they are for a different use and they'll be less suitable for you. 9' boats (2.5m ish) can go up any stair case I've ever seen.

M

eastupper93

Post by eastupper93 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:04 pm

Invaluable advice. Thankyou

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:13 pm

eastupper93 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 7:35 pm
Any kayak suggestions welcomed
Sectional kayaks aren't often considered, but they could be a solution for what you're after. You could have a full-length sea kayak (with retractable skeg) standing up in a 1 metre square footprint in your hallway. There are lots of technical options and pitfalls, so before going down this route, you ought to do some Googling - the following blog is a good start:

http://sectionalseakayak.blogspot.com

Similarly, you can get some good quality inflatable touring boats, but you need to do your research to avoid the junk.

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:24 pm

You could try a Dagger Blackwater, which has a skeg to help you hold course.
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

Ferret

Post by Ferret » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:19 pm

Hello! I also had the same problem as my lockup is 8ft squared. Really wanted something longer for canals, but ended up buying a Perception whiplash which is 2.78 metres long (I'm only 5'4" and 8st). I got used to it by the end of the first afternoon out but it was noticeably hard work. Have been wondering about fitting a removable skeg to help it track straighter but the bottom is not completely flat, and I've never done anything like that before! Any advice greatly appreciated.
Into this wild abyss...

DaveB

Post by DaveB » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:32 am

In reply to the last post: if you mange ok except in occassional strong winds you can simply trail a short length of rope or sling with knots in the end from your rear grab loop. increase drag but does the job at minmal inconvenience

Ferret

Post by Ferret » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:55 am

Thanks for the reply DaveB! Third time out in it and I'm much better at going in a straight line now, but as soon as I stop paddling for 2 seconds I spin. Which isn't the end of the world I guess...
Tried towing a sigg bottle off the back but can't say it made a lot of difference. Will definitely try the knotted rope, and someone else suggested a big plastic bottle half full of water may help too. Now thinking of not going down the skeg route as I mainly can't be bothered with the effort of trying to get one to stick and stay well.
Into this wild abyss...

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:04 pm

Moving the seat back may help, or if there is a rear compartment, putting a heavy weight in it (adjusting trim)
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:27 pm

I'm much better at going in a straight line now, but as soon as I stop paddling for 2 seconds I spin
That's what that type of boat is designed to do. It's directionally unstable, to help it turn quickly, like modern combat aircraft. There are other designs that would be easier to paddle, but it will force you to learn how to keep it straight by small adjustments to the strength of your stroke on each side. The only way to build the muscle memory is practice, just get out and enjoy paddling and don't worry about it.

Franky

Post by Franky » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:10 pm

You'll never get a kayak with a planing hull to drift in a straight line, so don't bother trying :) The Whiplash looks particularly twitchy with its curved bottom.

As long as you can paddle in a straight line, you're in business. Note: pushing with your feet on the footplate or footpegs on each stroke helps keep the kayaking moving straight, but it sounds as though you're not having a problem with this.

MaverickvRS

Post by MaverickvRS » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:30 pm

May seem like going off on a slight tangent with this one but bear with me...

Some local clubs do have boat storage so you don't need to get it up stairs at your apartment - it's generally secure and insured - can always use a bike lock anyway. That way you can invest your hard earned cash on the boat you want and need for your paddling, rather than compromising on the boat because of your building's stairs!

Worth a thought - club membership is usually fairly reasonable.