GUL Mens Taw Drysuit

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
puddytat

GUL Mens Taw Drysuit

Post by puddytat » Tue May 15, 2018 9:04 am

Greetings from the other end of the planet.....
Anyone using the GUl Taw drysuit & if so whats the pros & cons ?
Its in my price range & we do have a Kiwi distributor....
Cheers

Daker

Re: GUL Mens Taw Drysuit

Post by Daker » Thu May 17, 2018 7:50 pm

I have one and its fine.

The fabric seems as waterproof as most suits I've owned but to my thinking is a lot heavier than it really needs to be so has a bit of a chunky feel to it. Perhaps because of this the neck, which the hood folds into, is very thick and stiff so if anything is more comfortable when the hood is out rather than packed away. The neck however is nice and high which is great in wind and rain but less so when its warm.

If working hard I will get damp inside which I put down to the amount I sweat rather than leaks or any problem with breathability as I find the same in almost every bit of kit I've ever owned.

The zip arrangement is a bit awkward to do up solo but is fine in use and allows the top half of suit to be lowered during lunch stops etc.

The neoprene seals are a matter of personal preference - for me I would rather have latex as they are definitely drier and I've never had an issue with comfort with latex but others seem to swear by the neoprene ones although getting a close fit is undoubtedly essential.

One thing is be very careful with which size you go for. I'm usually a large as im broad in the shoulders but this suit is far too tall for me so I have excess material in the bum / legs and the feet are massive. Also the neck is looser than I would like for immersion as I will let a small amount of water in. In hindsight I may have been better with a 'Medium Broad' but I bought it mail order so would definitely advise trying on if possible.

All in all I'd say its a very good suit for an excellent price, better than a lot of budget models but probably not as nice as dearer offerings.
Hope that's of some use

puddytat

Post by puddytat » Fri May 18, 2018 12:13 am

Thanks for the reply Daker, much appreciated!

I too will be having to buy online so its good to hear your thoughts on sizing. I was humming & hahing over whether to get the medium or medim broad as Im on the cusp of both....but from what you are saying the medium for me would be the better choice I'd say.

They say you get what you pay for, but at half the price of the other brands available here, I think its worth a punt.

Thanks again for your reply & opinion.

Cheers !!

Daker

Post by Daker » Fri May 18, 2018 9:54 am

Depending on how much your postage costs, Id be inclined to order two sizes to try on at home with the intention of returning the one that doesn't fit.
Before purchasing the Gul suit I actually did this with a couple of Palm suits, which I quite liked but one of which was too tight in the shoulders and the next size up was FAR too big.

Certainly in the UK a lot of companies offer free delivery and even with me having to pay maybe £10 to return them, its a lot cheaper than me driving to the nearest kayak store.

Good luck.

puddytat

Post by puddytat » Fri May 18, 2018 10:20 am

Funny that you mention what I had been thinking.....to order two & return one.
Would cost about $30 for postage.
Daker wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:54 am

Before purchasing the Gul suit I actually did this with a couple of Palm suits, which I quite liked but one of which was too tight in the shoulders and the next size up was FAR too big.

Good luck.

Could possibly happen knowing my luck lol.....

charleston14

Post by charleston14 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:53 pm

The peak UK drysuits are quite nice (explorer, adventure, deluxe) and a similar price.

Re neoprene, if you’re wearing your drysuit all day in a sea kayak or touring type of activity then neoprene will be more comfortable, especially around the neck.

But for activities like rolling, practice rescues and white water you will find latex drier, at the cost of comfort as the neoprene eventually saturates and then capillary action gets your under garments damp.

Shame nobody has figured out how to make a drysuit with interchange zip in latex and neoprene seals.
Scorpio LV