C1 Cartwheel question

One blade only
Lewperren

C1 Cartwheel question

Post by Lewperren » Wed May 09, 2018 8:58 am

I can do a K1 cartwheel, but having trouble with C1. Front double pump fine, normally in K1 I would then rotate to stern and put in a front sweep to get second end, but I only have the C1 handle on left so no sweep possible. I end up with second end just but then capsize. I thought about switching in mid cartwheel after first end but not time. I saw a video of someone doing late rear sweep, but did not look right. Any clues?

Thanks

Lew

Jim

Re: C1 Cartwheel question

Post by Jim » Wed May 16, 2018 12:02 am

Never mastered C1 playboating at all, but I believe the normal technique is to do a clean cartwheel, which you can work on in K1 first.
Clean means complete the second end without taking another stroke after the double pump (super clean is achieving the whole manouevre without a stroke) - you need to get your body rotation right and in K1 I usually seem to be about to take the front sweep when I realise I don't need it (yeah yeah, accidentally clean not intentional...) because I am on balance and the stern is on already on track to complete the end. So it might help to dummy the action as if you were about to take a sweep with your T-grip in order to get your rotation right for the clean end?

Lewperren

Re: C1 Cartwheel question

Post by Lewperren » Wed May 16, 2018 8:36 am

Thanks Jim, that makes total sense. Time for practice.