Rams butting cars Isle of Mull

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
coldwind

Rams butting cars Isle of Mull

Post by coldwind » Tue May 08, 2018 4:43 pm

A bit of a long shot but looking for a solution to rams facing up to car panels, seeing their reflection and literally ramming the car. Last time on Mull I covered my car in mud and luckily most of it stayed on and the car survived although the mud took ages to shift. I've tried spray wax but I think the rain will wash it off. I'm leaving the car for about five days so it's guaranteed to get a soaking.
Anyone encountered this problem ? Basically I'm looking for something like the old fashioned windoelene that won't wash off in the rain but will come off with a bit if elbow grease.

jamiemagee

Re: Rams butting cars Isle of Mull

Post by jamiemagee » Tue May 08, 2018 5:23 pm

Would a car cover work maybe?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

coldwind

Post by coldwind » Tue May 08, 2018 5:36 pm

Probably would but I'm last minute dot com. We are up there on Friday. They don't bother flat paint cars but my mate had his nicely polished Audi butted with quite a bit of damage.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue May 08, 2018 6:12 pm

Has the sea forum now started satirising itself?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy » Tue May 08, 2018 8:07 pm

Damn.
I'm heading up Friday and have just spent hours cleaning a load of mud off mine!!

Whitey1

Post by Whitey1 » Wed May 09, 2018 12:59 pm

No real answer to it. I've known it happen to two friends' cars on Cumbrian fells. It's not only the Rams, ewes do it too. Farmers should have public liability insurance to cover it but it's never a smooth claim and it would be far better not to have to worry about it. I'd say if there's two cars then at least park them so close you've halved the chance of it happening and probably think about a tarp cover of sorts.

Grian

Post by Grian » Wed May 09, 2018 11:00 pm

Park away from where the tups are kept? They’ll likely be in a specific enclosed area and getting fed each day, so liable to be hanging out near the point where that happens until breakfast then loitering in the vicinity thereafter. Would be best to avoid that area.

Yakrat151

Post by Yakrat151 » Fri May 11, 2018 12:39 pm

Good luck with the windowlene my car was butted two years ago on mull after leaving it for a week to kayak
I tent to look after my motors and my friend doesn’t give a toss about his, ironically it was my gleaming car that got rammed,
Fortunately we are going in his this year

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Fri May 11, 2018 1:49 pm

Cover it in Velcro :P
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

Northern Blue

Post by Northern Blue » Mon May 14, 2018 6:11 am

A wooden stake at each corner and a roll of cheap electric fence tape, rigged up to the car battery ;-)

Grian

Post by Grian » Tue May 15, 2018 8:49 am

Am sure we all accept that we park at our own risk on private land, but just to highlight, any claim against a farmer or crofter due to damage from livestock would very likely result in that and other convenient parking spots being fenced off, affecting us all...

If damage is occurring on a public car park then it would be worth highlighting to community council. Happy to pass on info to local councillor.

coldwind

Post by coldwind » Sun May 20, 2018 9:42 am

Thanks for all the comments. Some were funny, some were helpful, one was neither ! In the end I bought some cheap wax, sprayed a door up, let the sun bake it on and tried to take it off with a hose pipe. It stayed on. At the venue we parked up close and I used the wax, no damage ! Cracking week paddling around Oban, then ferry to Mull, parked up western end of Loch na Keal ( on with the wax ). Wild camped a couple of nights on Ulva and one on Lunga. Drove down to Fionnport and paddled round Iona with a play in the rocks. Stunning backdrops with plenty of wild life. Saw seals, dolphins, otters, puffins and sea eagles. The only disappointment was the amount of plastic washed up on the shore. Fantastic week with great weather and midge free