October holiday

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
ejm64

October holiday

Post by ejm64 » Tue May 08, 2018 2:36 pm

Hi,
Myself and my husband are looking for somewhere to go for a self guided sea kayaking trip middle of October. Can anyone recommend somewhere that will be nice at this time of year, happy to be in Europe or out of Europe if not too expensive! Looking at about 4 days kayaking and then a bit of time to hike/climb or explore on foot.

Thanks

Lizzy

Iamthebadger

Re: October holiday

Post by Iamthebadger » Tue May 08, 2018 3:17 pm

The Aeolian Islands are a great place for sea kayaking, you can hire kayaks on Volcano www.sicilyinkayak.com/home_eng.php I have been twice and would recommend. Or Sea kayak Menorca https://menorcaenkayak.com/en/?gclid=Cj ... 5EQAvD_BwE. This is a great outfit we went last year and going again this year.
Paddle in warm water and the UK will never be quite the same again. enjoy

mcgruff

Post by mcgruff » Tue May 15, 2018 11:16 pm

Loch Maree. Big highland fresh-water loch with islands and woodlands to explore.

Some of Scotland's best hillwalking in the area. Torridon is not far. Slioch rises from the loch-side. Carnmore is just "around the corner" - with some of the most stunning views in the country, perhaps best seen late in the day when the sun swings round north-west. When Scotland was made we ordered too many cliffs from the builders and they all got dumped at Carnmore. It may even be possible to get kayak in there with a bit of portaging: Loch a Bhad-luichraich -> Loch Mhic'ille Riabhach -> Fionn Loch.

A' Mhaidgean - often called Scotland's most remote munro - rises behind Carnmore and has some fabulous views on a clear day. You could even wander all the way through to Strath na Sealga and climb An Teallach.

I just got back from a cycle trip which took me to all of these places. It's a very special part of the world. Just amazing.

For a harder kayaking challenge - but more at risk of cancellation with bad weather - Skye (loch Scavaig) Rhum and Eigg might appeal. Again, some spectacular hillwalking to be had in the Cuillins and on Rhum.

dolomitistuart

Post by dolomitistuart » Fri May 18, 2018 9:24 pm

Try GoSeaKayak in Sardinia. In October most tourists have left and the paddling is beautiful. Melisa and Taran are proper adventure kayakers and really know the place. They have good kit, flexible minds and reasonable rates. We had a great time.

asmar

Post by asmar » Sun May 20, 2018 11:07 am

Hi Lizzy,

With 1024km of coastline, 40 summits above 6000ft, 200+ gorges and more than 3000 equipped climbing routes (4a to 8b+), the island of Crete is difficult to beat.
Check out this link https://www.enjoy-crete.com/weather-forecast/ for a detailed listing of weather conditions on the island during October.