Axiom 8.5 advice

Inland paddling
JimT

Axiom 8.5 advice

Post by JimT » Mon May 07, 2018 11:05 am

6' 1" size 11 and whilst 100kg now aiming to lose a few in the coming month.
Paddled a 9 the other week but even at 6.1 it felt almost too roomy or high around the thigh grip area and felt like I was sitting a bit low in it.
Nice amount of space for feet and handled well.

However I quite fancy the idea of something sub 9' and was wondering if anyone else my kind of size (which is right at the top of its paddler weight) uses an 8.5 and how you get on with it.

Sat in Z One and found it a bit tight in the foot area and going to paddle a GTX and Max.

Ta

JimT

Re: Axiom 8.5 advice

Post by JimT » Mon May 07, 2018 6:51 pm

Reading a few reviews online and a couple have mentioned how the 8.5 boat seemed fine with 100kg paddlers and was plenty spacious for 6 '2" and size 12 feet, even though it's rated to 85kg. I guess these are only guidelines as like I said I sit in the lower 3rd of weight for a 9 and thought it felt big.

jam bo

Post by jam bo » Tue May 08, 2018 3:46 pm

there needs to be a 8.75. an 8.5 for me at 85kg was a fairly wet ride and a 9 was just too big.

Chris C

Post by Chris C » Tue May 08, 2018 3:47 pm

Hi Jim, I found at 80kg the 8.5 was a bit low in the water when running 4/5 and the 9 worked mug better but it did need extra padding out to get the most out of the oat, I raised my seat with extra foam to bring my hips in line with the cockpit rim and this made a huge difference and improvement on the handling and would probably be a better bet than the 8.5

Rae1

Post by Rae1 » Tue May 08, 2018 5:24 pm

I find the feet get really cramped in the 8.5, I'm 5'7", size 9/10 feet and around 80kg. The only footwear I can wear in it are the neoprene style boots (Palm Descender), trainer style shoes are too long/thick to get in. I'd say 100kg is a bit too much for the 8.5, I've got my seat as far forward as it'll go, if I put it back, the stern is being washed over even on flat water - or maybe thats what you want?

JimT

Post by JimT » Tue May 08, 2018 11:33 pm

Thanks for the replies - I sat in (or tried to) an 8.5 this evening. Weird as I have read reviews of blokes 6.2 with size 12 feet paddling them and I couldn't get in it. Admittingly the guy had a load of foam on the foot plate but it was on its furthest setting and the tigh braces felt sooo low. Shitter really as there is a nice one on ebay not far from me.

Paddled a GTX Max on the water tonight and sizing felt about right and seemed like a nice boat, only other one to try now is a Z one L.

JimT

Post by JimT » Thu May 17, 2018 10:38 am

Sat in a Z one last week and that felt pretty tight in the feet area as well which is a shame as I do like the look of them, maybe a second visit and a bit more time fiddling with it needed. At the moment the GTX max is front runner really even though that feels like in an ideal world it could be sat an inch lower in the water. Maybe the answer is lose some weight (currently 100kg) and then look again.

JimT

Post by JimT » Mon May 21, 2018 6:54 am

Liquid Logic Remix 69 - 8' 8" and paddler weight > 109kg, front doesn't look too low and looks like a nice boat, think I need to sit in one of these.

JimT

Post by JimT » Mon May 21, 2018 8:06 am

jam bo wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:46 pm
there needs to be a 8.75. an 8.5 for me at 85kg was a fairly wet ride and a 9 was just too big.
Looking at the volumes of both the axiom and gt's I think thats where the remix might win over with 69 gallons, the others jump from 59 straight to 79 and I seem to sit right in the middle when I have paddled them.

neonbowhawk

Post by neonbowhawk » Mon May 21, 2018 11:39 am

I would say a Remix is not much like any of the other boats you have been trying, it has quite a lot of volume at the stern, so not much of a playful river runner like the others.
Maybe try a large Ripper? At 100 kg you are right at the middle of the weight range, lots of volume and foot room at the front but a low volume stern.

But yikes expensive

Ian Dallaway

Post by Ian Dallaway » Tue May 22, 2018 7:39 am

Hi JimT,
don't get hung up on trying to compare volumes of boats, simply as it really depends more on how it is distributed than the actual numbers. Also, in the boats you are talking about, most of that volume will be OUT of the water and as such it doesn't affect performance in any great way.
I believe in the Tshirt rule - if you take a large Tshirt, then you normally need the L sized boat in that range. Then all you need is lots of foam to get the perfect fit for you.

You need to try boats to see if they are right for you, but bear in mind raising the seat, padding out hips, moving the seat, adjusting any thigh braces, etc all make a huge difference to the handling. These can't always be done easily on demo boats. If the boat is too tight to allow for any adjustment, it will always be a compromise.

As an example, I've just bought a Large Machno, even though I can physically fit quite easily into a Small Machno. Lots of sticking in foam and now the boat is feeling really good, and ready for a French holiday in a few weeks time.
Ian

JimT

Post by JimT » Tue May 22, 2018 9:45 pm

Thanks for the replies and yeah I'll take a look a few more, that said I just paddled teh GT max again tonight and it does work well for me. Good value as well compared to many others.