Inflatable kayak some white water and touring - I’m clueless

Inland paddling
Katiemanc

Inflatable kayak some white water and touring - I’m clueless

Post by Katiemanc » Fri May 04, 2018 11:12 am

So I’m new to all of this but I’ve been looking at getting a two person inflatable kayak,

I saw a post but it was mainly geared towards flat water, I would ideally want to get one which would be able to do class 2 rapids, me and my partner are travelling around France (by car) and hopefully going to L’ardeché and the verdon gorges too, we realised getting a inflatable would be our best option instead of renting out there.
And when we are back home, afternoons out kayaking in wales etc.

Our budget isn’t too high, £200 max. But I was just looking for pointers in the right direction, with brand, things to look for.

If you could dumb it down for me, I’m new to all of this!

Thankyou!

banzer

Re: Inflatable kayak some white water and touring - I’m clueless

Post by banzer » Fri May 04, 2018 2:13 pm

So long as you just want to do mild rapids, something like the Sevylor from Go Outdoors would do you just fine. They're all much of a muchness until you start getting into self-bailing and more complex fittings. Enjoy.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Mrstratos61

Post by Mrstratos61 » Fri May 04, 2018 11:22 pm

Sevylor Colorado would suit. Tough outer and 3 chambers. Spares readily available. ( some models rely on a single chamber with obvious problems if puncture) carry a repair kit and aquaseal. Look on YouTube for video of what it can cope with. Also watch inflation pressure as can expand if hot and drop in cold water. Sevylor have a pressure gauge.

Occasional_Paddler

Post by Occasional_Paddler » Tue May 08, 2018 12:06 am

Katiemanc wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 11:12 am
So I’m new to all of this but I’ve been looking at getting a two person inflatable kayak,

I saw a post but it was mainly geared towards flat water, I would ideally want to get one which would be able to do class 2 rapids, me and my partner are travelling around France (by car) and hopefully going to L’ardeché and the verdon gorges too, we realised getting a inflatable would be our best option instead of renting out there.
And when we are back home, afternoons out kayaking in wales etc.

Our budget isn’t too high, £200 max. But I was just looking for pointers in the right direction, with brand, things to look for.

If you could dumb it down for me, I’m new to all of this!

Thankyou!
Hello,

I bought a couple of Itiwit inflatable kayaks from Decathlon last week and they great. I watched a few YouTube videos first to help me decide and the reviews seem to suggest the Itiwit ones are a bit better quality than the Sevylor ones. Although Decathlon do the Sevylor ones too so you could see for yourself.

ChrisTopping

Post by ChrisTopping » Tue May 15, 2018 1:32 pm

Hi,

New here too... You guys seem to be real pros and maybe my question is stupid or totally not what you guys do.
I'm after a cheap (ish) basic inflatable kayak to go on flat rivers nearby (north east) with the kids. We're not pros and I'm just looking for leisure kayaking to do something with the berns.
I came across this cheap kayak https://www.inflatable.org.uk/product/i ... ble-kayak/ . Do you guys know anything about it?
There is also this one I like which currently in the sale on Decathlon website: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/itiwit-infl ... 35512.html

If you have any advice or other recommendations let me know

Cheers

Occasional_Paddler

Post by Occasional_Paddler » Tue May 15, 2018 10:13 pm

Hi Chris,

I can’t comment on the Intex one as I’ve never seen it but the Itiwit is the one I have bought - although annoyingly not at the reduced price!

I’ve found it brilliant so far. Lightweight and really stable, which for me with the kids was essential. It’s quite high pressure too so it just feels really robust. It fold back down quite easily as well and the rucksack/carry bag thing is very useful.

Hope that helps 👍

bouncyboatbloke

Post by bouncyboatbloke » Tue May 15, 2018 10:36 pm

All good suggestions there,I would add that nearly all of those mentioned are a fabric skinned tube. This may be an issue if you're travelling around by car. Ideally the kayak needs to be really dry before putting away for any length of time otherwise the dreaded mould sets in.
The Sea Eagle [ cheap range ] of white water capable kayaks have a wipe dry fabric, and are very light weight, such as
http://www.inflatablekayakworld.com/inf ... review-16/
With the budget limitations imposed you will have to scour the used section of the market.
Good luck.
Mike

Danny_G

Post by Danny_G » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:48 pm

You can't go wrong with any of the Sevylor kayaks. They are great quality and fun. We bought ours from our local chandlery and we are very impressed with it. Here is a link where you can find a great one the Waterton but they can also supply any other model. See their downloads section in the bottom of the page.
https://www.foxschandlery.com/sevylor-w ... -kayak-kit

Danny_G

Post by Danny_G » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:55 am

Here is the Sevylor official website in Europe http://www.sevylor-europe.com/uk/ . I suggest you to actually go over their catalog and compare the models. They have lots of videos and info about each and every model. After you have decided on which one is best for you I would suggest you to contact your local chandlery and ask them if they supply Sevylor (most marine shops will do) and even if they don't have the mode in stock for you they can still get it. Hope this helps.