Mock Student volunteer

Hook up with other paddlers
Soniamack

Mock Student volunteer

Post by Soniamack » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:08 am

I'm in the middle of a Long Term Development course and need to get as much paddling practice as possible. I'm fairly comfortable on grade 2 and wanting to improve to grade 3. I'm really keen to be a mock student for someone's practice or assessment. I'm in Cheshire and am happy to drive reasonable distances. Am free on weekends but could maybe get the odd weekday off.

StillNewish

Re: Mock Student volunteer

Post by StillNewish » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:14 pm

This is a good idea, and joining facebook groups associated with the rivers you are keen to get on will let you see when commercial operators are looking for mock students. They generally tend to post there, and then offer places to those who reply, rather than keep a list of possible students, and having to contact enough to get the amount they require.

Keep in mind that 4* assessments, MWE training etc etc are 'one off' two day long events. If you want to get more river hours on an on-going basis, look at local clubs who run white water trips. This will have the advantage that you will get to know the group you are paddling with, and can then start to arrange peer trips etc as well.

Good luck with it, it can be tough to get started, but it's well worth the effort to do :)

Cheers,
Colin

Soniamack

Post by Soniamack » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:22 am

Thankyou for that. I have just joined a 2nd club. Facebook groups I know of and have joined are NWKUK and North Wales Kayaking. Can you think of any others in my part of the UK?

StillNewish

Post by StillNewish » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:11 pm

I think you've got the main ones already to be fair, I'm not aware of any other specific groups covering that part of the country.

John K

Post by John K » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:06 pm

Plas y Brenin might be worth a try for mick student opportunities
http://www.pyb.co.uk/mock-students.php