Define Canoeing

One blade only
Conor Buckboy

Define Canoeing

Post by Conor Buckboy » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:30 pm

I'm a kayaker mainly but am suddenly taking a large encroach into canoeing. Mainly at first Open boat Canadian style canoes but now moving onto to use my playbaot wth my canoe paddle and also my sea kayak. Obviously these are both sit in boats without a saddle or kneeling apparatus. Is this still canoeing?

Got told at my local pool that I wasn't doing it right when I was playbaoting in my sit in boat with a canoe paddle, people saying I need to get a saddle in their for it to properly count.

Thoughts? I much prefer sitting in as I can use all my experience kayaking for edging and rolling etc, and get to enjoy my sea kayak in a strange new way.

Chris Bolton

Re: Define Canoeing

Post by Chris Bolton » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:42 pm

I would define canoeing as anything with a single blade. Many open canoe paddlers will sit when on flat water, and there are 'sit style' marathon racing canoes. Paddling C1 while sitting is not 'wrong' but it's not anywhere near as effective or fun as kneeling; you can get much more reach, cross deck strokes are easier, edging is no different, rolling is easier than in a kayak once you've learned how.

stonercanoe

Post by stonercanoe » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:24 pm

Going to moan! Bloody BBC never get it right. Sports personality of the year, quick clip of sprint kayak and the well paid presenter says he won canoe gold!
Maybe don't worry about definition. BBC and most other broadcasters don't!
Jason

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:56 am

Even if I use a short shaft paddle sitting in a kayak with single blade paddle feels all wrong/awkward. Convert that playboat to a kneeler and find out for yourself. BUT - ignore boat/paddle snobbery, you don't have to 'do it right', just do what feels good for you.

And do yourself a favour - learn to switch from the start, it gets too hard later.

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:26 am

In Britain all of it comes under the canoeing banner. But where does SUP stand & as for duckies..?

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

garya

Post by garya » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:08 pm

When is a canoe a canoe ... ?

Is it when you have one paddle and are kneeling on the floor, what is it when you are sitting on the seat ?

Is it a solo or a tandem with two.. when you have three is it now a crew boat ?

When you link them together with lashings and a spar is it a raft ? when you are giving instructions to mange the boat are you now a guide or a helm ?

If you put up a sail to sail it would the crew call you skipper instead ?

All that matters is that you can make the boat go where you want it to go with elegance and skill... and it is fun too.

GaryA

Arthur

Post by Arthur » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:10 pm

This is a bit like defining the difference between craft and art, but let's not go there.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Thu May 17, 2018 4:05 pm

This come up from time to time and Gary has indicated some of the anomalies. It is a nonsense to define a craft by the type of paddle. If you are sat in a kayak and someone passes you a single bladed canoe paddle, has the craft magically transformed into a canoe. And the corollary, if you are sat in a canoe and someone passes you a double bladed kayak paddle, has the craft now become a kayak?

You can make a judgement on the name you give a craft based on its general appearance. It only gets complicated when you switch to less conventional methods of propulsion. Paddling a kayak with a single blade kneeling down is usually described as C1; this doesn't change the craft to a canoe, it changes it to a C1 and if you want to call that either canoe or kayak you might be approximately right. (or wrong)

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Thu May 17, 2018 4:27 pm

it changes it to a C1 and if you want to call that either canoe or kayak you might be approximately right
I've always understood C1 to mean single seat canoe, just as K1 means single kayak, and similarly for C2, K2. A C1 is a canoe, irrespective of what it might be if it had a sitting seat and a double paddle. But I'm only making the point because it's being discussed, it doesn't matter what you call it.

GregS

Post by GregS » Sat May 19, 2018 11:05 pm

Canoeing is a generic term covering pretty much any human or wind powered craft. It's actually easier to highlight the few categories of craft which are NOT canoes: rafts, rowing boats, dinghies, yachts and motorised craft, etc.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:22 pm

Can I add kayak to your list, Greg? Or is this also a canoe? The discussion really only arises when paddlers want to distinguish between canoes and kayaks not when they want to distinguish between canoes and yachts. Although, saying that, sailing canoes might have their own particular peculiarities.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:43 pm

It's actually easier to highlight the few categories of craft which are NOT canoes: rafts, rowing boats, dinghies
So what, other than history and the shape of the stern, makes the International 10m2 canoe a canoe rather than a dinghy? But does it matter?

banzaine

Post by banzaine » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:06 pm

Regardless of what you call it, it`s a great exercise to learn to manoeuvre and roll a ww kayak / sea-kayak with a single blade, whilst sitting. Ask the "know it all`s" at the pool what they would do if their paddle shaft snapped mid-rapid or as they were being buffeted against a wall/cliff by waves/current?