Kayak or Canoe for larger person?

One blade only
Maverick777

Kayak or Canoe for larger person?

Post by Maverick777 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:13 pm

I've just completed by BCU1 and enjoyed it. I've learnt that it's not just a case of buying a Kayak and jumping in. As I wore size 10 trainers and was unable fit my feet in and therefore could not grip with my knees, so it was very uncomfortable. So it's opened up more questions than answers. For ease of transport, I was thinking of an inflatable, such as the Bic Yakka or Advanced Elements. I also tried the instructors carbon fibre paddle, which had a smaller blade with angled hand grips, which felt more user friendly Advice on a postcode please? I'm 6'2 and 17.5 stone. Are their Kayaks for the larger built person? I expect I would use mainly in rivers and occasionally in still costal waters.

Cheers

Cheers

nigelhatton

Re: Kayak or Canoe for larger person?

Post by nigelhatton » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:48 pm

Well I am 6'2" and 14 1/2 stone but when I was 18 stone I paddled sea racing kayaks that to a beginner would be very frightening and unstable. Indeed there are some wide kayaks that would suit your build and skill level but as I say to many others starting out get some training, try different kayaks in whatevers club you might join. Once you're at BCU level 3 and can keep your balance then get something quicker than a short,wide, very stable kayak. You'll thank yourself when you can cover certain distances without pain in your wrists and your upper back.
I won't say what make or model you should use but I will say get more training, happy paddling!

MaverickvRS

Post by MaverickvRS » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:07 pm

Hi Maverick (Nice name by the way ;)...)

I am also 6'2" and have size 10 feet (albeit lighter) - my normal boat is an old Perception Arc, which I fit into comfortably with some outfitting additions to stop me rattling about! That's not on maximum adjustment either. They go for around £150-200 so not a bank-balance-breaker! - For progressing it's ideal, and much more user friendly than an inflatable kayak. It's a "bigdeck" so the cockpit is fairly wide to accommodate most shapes and sizes of paddler.

Bear in mind that different shoes can have a huge effect - proper wetsuit shoes/boots will almost always offer up some more foot room than trainers will, and your legs won't cramp up so much!

Just my 2p.

Also, Palm do a series of paddles called the Maverick - couldn't be more apt...

Maverick777

Post by Maverick777 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:52 pm

Hi Maverick,

Ditto on the name. My old Rhodesian Ridgeback was called Maverick. Thanks for your tips and advice.

Cheers

Maverick777

Post by Maverick777 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:00 pm

PS like the decals on the front. Where did you purchase?

MaverickvRS

Post by MaverickvRS » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:27 am

Maverick777 wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:00 pm
PS like the decals on the front. Where did you purchase?
Found them on ebay - weren't hugely expensive and went on nice and easily!

Maverick777

Post by Maverick777 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:58 pm

Think I will go the sit on Kayak route.

Jim

Post by Jim » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:42 pm

The first thing to do is stop wearing trainers unless you are going to paddle an enormous creek boat or touring boat or canoe.
Most of the time I wear wetsuit shoes in the boat because they are much more flexible than traditional shoes or any of the creek boating footwear. In some boats I take the shoes off when I get in and just wear wetsuit socks.

Get some suitable footwear and then try some different boats and types of paddling to work out what it is you want to do before buying a boat, don't just buy a boat based on whether or not it fits you wearing trainers, you are liekly to end up either with something terrible, or something that is good, but not for what you want to do with it.

dogsbody

Post by dogsbody » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:02 pm

Im 6ft , 17 stone and have size 11s. Sea boat i padde hv abd white water a gtmax. So you can get one to fut. Its just a case of looking.

Maverick777

Post by Maverick777 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:35 pm

Hi,

Since completing my BCU, I've been on two SOT Kayaks, one of which being a Tarpon 120. As I result I opted for a SOT and purchased a FatYak Kaafu. I went on my first outing today and felt totally different in feel to the two other SOT Kayaks. It felt as though, I was skating on ice and kept falling in the surf, which had never happened on my previous 3 outings.

Cheers

Maverick777

FatYak Kaafu vs Wilderness Tarpon 120 (Weight Limit)

Post by Maverick777 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:10 am

Hi All,

I read a review comparing the The Fatyak Kaafu Vs The Perception Scooter:-

http://www.h2outdoor.co.uk/devon-blog/f ... n-scooter/

I'm just wandering if with my own weight of 115kgs, then Wetsuit (wet), PFD etc, that it would push me over the 130kgs weight limit and adversely effect handling?

Thanks

J B Weld

Post by J B Weld » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:46 pm

I'm 6'5" and 19 stone. I also have very limited mobility in my right shoulder, which makes extractions and rolls impossible. For the casual user/explorer of my dimensions and limitations my sit on Riber works nicely. Its a lot better than not being to paddle at all.