Bullitt S vs Ride Eclipse, how do they differ?

Riding the waves
tobym

Bullitt S vs Ride Eclipse, how do they differ?

Post by tobym » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:13 pm

Am fairly new to surfing kayaks, tend to use my playboat(Dagger Jitsu 6.0), I used to surf on a board, as a teenager(grew up in Porthcawl), am 40, now, and fancy something I can catch a wave and ride it down the line, rather than bumping around like a cork. Am short(5'9") and heavy/fat (100 kg). I can see the long HP boats seem to be recommended, although the short boats look sexier!!, is there much to choose between the Bullitt S, Eclipse, Bullitt xs etc? Would be used mainly on South Wales beach breaks.

Colin C

Re: Bullitt S vs Ride Eclipse, how do they differ?

Post by Colin C » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:15 pm

Another boat to put into the mix is a Mega Banshee, as its the evolved Bullet S.

Colin

tobym

Post by tobym » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:37 pm

Yes am aware of the Banshee, thanks

Kevin Cooper

Post by Kevin Cooper » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:37 pm

I recently sold a mega megatron, highly recommend, boat was far more capable then me.

tobym

Post by tobym » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:51 pm

Thanks Kevin, would you suggest a Megatron over a Scarab?

Kevin Cooper

Post by Kevin Cooper » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:45 pm

I believe the megatron is there biggest boat in terms of carrying capacity but check the mega website.

My friend who was bigger than me searched for one after trying mine and refused to consider any other boat. I sold it to him in the end as I wasn't using it enough to get the best out of it.

AndrewSansum

Post by AndrewSansum » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:48 am

To my. The megaton is I believe just a larger version of the scarab. More leg room and higher load capacity. I'm 6'2" with long legs and couldn't fit into the scarab but at 90kg should have been ok for weight.

The important thing with a surf kayak is at least to try for fit before buying. And better to paddle the boat first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tobym

Post by tobym » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:59 pm

The Eclipse is 2.7 m long according to the website, does anyone know if it is exactly 270cm long? As my kayak store can fit up to a max 272, so may have to rule out the bullitt s/xs, Banshee may just fit, though

Daker

Post by Daker » Sun May 07, 2017 11:33 pm

Re length, give Tim Thomas at Ride a callas he will be happy to discuss and measure if required.

Daker

Post by Daker » Mon May 08, 2017 2:27 pm

Re length - I've just measured my Eclipse - The length along the curve of the hull = 272cm
However the straight line length is only 267cm so you should be fine in your kayak store.

I know various people in the 90-100kg range who paddle and enjoy the Eclipse including the likes of Chris Hobson who is no lightweight.

Coming back to Mega HP boats, Im about 90kg and have owned the Megatron, Scarab and Neutron RV, moving down in sizes as I became more comfortable in each.
If you had a lot of experience in surf boats I would suggest the Scarab to be the best for your weight / height, however if you are new to surf boats you will likely find it sits too low in the water / is too unstable for your skill level.

As such, the Megatron would give a much more enjoyable experience, although you would need to add extra foot rest foam as most do not come with adjustable footrests. Once you feel you have progressed, going down a size will definitely offer more performance but will obviously be slower to paddle out and take a bit more effort to catch a wave.

tobym

Post by tobym » Mon May 08, 2017 3:57 pm

Thanks, Daker am also considering the Neutron X as is longer than the Scarab, and weight range higher, just wonder if it'll be much less enjoyable than a composite boat?

Daker

Post by Daker » Mon May 08, 2017 4:29 pm

Hmmmm, Id take that weight range with a pinch of salt personally.
I haven't paddled one but thought the Neutron X was essentially a plastic version of the Neutron RV (?)

And if it is, Id suggest you don't want it at your weight as it will be a very wet paddle !
At between 85 and 90kg I was fine in a Neutron RV if I was paddling regularly but found it a bit on the wobbly side whenever I hadn't been out for a while.

Re enjoyment, it wont make a massive difference until you progress a bit but you'll certainly feel it when walking down the beach with it on your shoulder !

tobym

Post by tobym » Mon May 08, 2017 4:59 pm

I thought the 's' was the RV equivalent?

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Fri May 12, 2017 3:02 pm

Daker wrote:Hmmmm, Id take that weight range with a pinch of salt personally.
I haven't paddled one but thought the Neutron X was essentially a plastic version of the Neutron RV (?)
Nope, the X was made from the same plug as the original plastic Neutron (Which is the same plug as the Megatron was made from) but with a much better plastic. The new plastic however does not shrink nearly as much in cooling as the original HDP Nuetron so ends up as a bit bigger boat so it does float a little more.

You don't want to be at the top of the weight range for a boat unless you have mad skills though as it just makes life that much harder.

Denzil

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Fri May 12, 2017 3:07 pm

tobym wrote:I thought the 's' was the RV equivalent?
Not 100% sure what you mean here but there was a plastic version of the Neutron RV Made, it was the Exo Xw1 which still features in their 2017 catalogue (http://exokayak.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... o-2017.pdf)

Junior

Post by Junior » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:56 pm

Are there any other older (pre 2017) boats that are easy to paddle (for someone who struggles with tippy boats) suited for messy surf other than the Bullitt S?

Something that would sell for under £600 secondhand?

Colin C

Post by Colin C » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:56 pm

I asked about the very same thing, looking for boats that paddled like a river kayak, and the suggestion I got was the Maurader or Vanquish, depending on your weight, along with a couple of others. The Vanquish is the smaller version of the Maurauder, and is good up to about 75k. These boats are in the UFO range so about 12 years old I think. I am a relative novice at surf kayaking and paddle a Banshee, and bought a Vanquish to leave abroad, as it was not too dissimilar to what I currently paddle. I have only paddled it briefly and it is a little less stable than the Banshee and Bullet, but not that much that it was uncomfortable. It paddled a little my slowly than the Banshee and Bullet but turned quicker, it rolled very easily. A more experienced paddler may be able to give you more information, but I am happy to move between the Banshee and Vanquish. Price wise I picked it up for £300 and its X Tech spec with a little damage, that I repaired. E Bay currently has both of them for sale so watch and see what they go for.

Colin

Junior

Post by Junior » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:05 pm

Does anyone ride the Mega Phantom? How does that compare to a Bullitt S?

GlennT

Post by GlennT » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:32 pm

I've paddled the Neutron X and I used to own a composite RV. I was very impressed with the X. The plastic is hard and the hull is stiff; certainly in comparison to the older plastic Mega boats, such as the Maverick, whose plastic was both softer and had a lot of flex.

My impression is that the X is bigger than the RV, from memory. It also surfs really well and isn't particularly heavy.

I would recommend the X and indeed came very close to buying one. I went for the Banshee - although still a HP boat is a different type of boat from the usual shorter HP boat. I chose it because in my view it is better suited to the inconsistent swell we seem to get up norf...

GlennT

Post by GlennT » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:00 pm

I've paddled the Neutron X and I used to own a composite RV. I was very impressed with the X. The plastic is hard and the hull is stiff; certainly in comparison to the older plastic Mega boats, such as the Maverick, whose plastic was both softer and had a lot of flex. My impression is that the X is bigger and has more room internally than the RV. The X was also fitted with the mega 'bucket', rather than the standard, seat which was more comfortable and functional. The X surfs really well and wasn't particularly heavy considering its a plastic rather than composite boat.

I would recommend the X and indeed came very close to buying one. I went for the Banshee - though a HP boat it's length, lines and volume distribution make it a different type of HP boat from that of the usual shorter stubby HP boats. I chose a Banshee because I considered it better suited to the inconsistent swell we seem to get up on the north east coast.

kayak1

Post by kayak1 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:29 pm

Hi Junior, I have owned a Phantom and is a very different boat to Bullit..the Phantom I found was good for being used in various surf conditions..its only drawback for me was how difficult I found to roll the thing, mainly due to its wide flared rails..its long low volume bow did catch on steep waves occasionally...Got a much older UFO Marauder now in great nick..which suites my style of paddling and flies along the surf...previously owned a Plastic Neutron too another great boat.. not a huge difference in performance between a carbon one according to the reviews...and I can believe it..

Water addict

Post by Water addict » Sat May 05, 2018 7:53 am

Hi i have the bullit s and am thinking of upgrading to the banshee. Is the banshee easier to roll and more roomy has anyone ridden both that could let me know the advantages. I am a novice to the sport and the waves are pretty washed out here in norfolk.

Colin C

Post by Colin C » Sat May 05, 2018 10:22 pm

I found the Bullet S very easy to roll as is the Banshee, and there is more foot room in the Banshee, so its more comfortable for me, as to the performance, well the Banshee seems to cutback more easily, and as its a longer boat it takes off quite easily a little further out then other boats, my inexperience may be a contributing factor, but on steep waves it needs to go at an angle, otherwise it dives, and over you go. I like it a lot, but am looking forward to trying a shorter boat to see the difference.

Colin

Water addict

Post by Water addict » Mon May 07, 2018 7:19 am

Thanks colin. Thats really helpfull as i can’t get my feet comfortable in the bullit s. Please let me know how you get on in a shorter boat aswell. How much longer is the banshee?

Colin C

Post by Colin C » Mon May 07, 2018 7:31 pm

Water addict wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 7:19 am
Thanks colin. Thats really helpfull as i can’t get my feet comfortable in the bullit s. Please let me know how you get on in a shorter boat aswell. How much longer is the banshee?
Its about the same length as the Bullet S, just inside comp HP length, sorry I meant bigger than most HP boats.

Colin

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Tue May 08, 2018 3:58 pm

Water addict wrote:
This may sound silly but have you cut a hole in the central foam for your heels to meet?

You would be amazed by how much more comfortable it will make your feet / ankles.

Colin C

Post by Colin C » Wed May 09, 2018 7:40 pm

StoneWeasel wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:58 pm
Water addict wrote:
This may sound silly but have you cut a hole in the central foam for your heels to meet?

You would be amazed by how much more comfortable it will make your feet / ankles.
Your right StoneWeasel, I did this on my own boat, and it did increase the space, it was also done on the Bullitt S and again it felt better, but I think the Banshee still has more room.

Colin

Water addict

Post by Water addict » Thu May 17, 2018 7:48 pm

Thanks ill give that a try