Access officers

Inland paddling
Kayacb

Access officers

Post by Kayacb » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:12 pm

Do access officers still exist, I've had a search on the BCU's (or whatever they're called now) and can't find anything past the regions section. My only thoughts are that it's a redundant post and they've realised we go any way.

Buy, if they do exist then I could use one for the Yorkshire area for a work related querie.

Thanks.

A

Adrian Cooper

Re: Access officers

Post by Adrian Cooper » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:07 pm

Waterway advisors

https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/guid ... -advisors/

People who provide advice as to where and how to access rivers and any current issues. I do a section of the Thames so I don't get many calls because all the info is easily accessible.

Shufflerschair

Post by Shufflerschair » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:57 pm

Don't know who the "they" are who've realised that "we go anyway", but some of us fulfil the position of BCU River Advisor because we care about the river, and our ability to use it.
Just a normal Club Paddler who's prepared to put some time into representing kayakers and our sport.

Recreational river users are underrepresented, unless you're a fisherman, and with the focus on water quality and prohibitions by many of the statutory organisations, someone has to go to make sure we can still paddle freely.
Yes, I'm a member of the BCU, 'cause there's no other body, not an advocate for competitive disciplines, but I do care that when I turn up with my boat on a weekend, with my mates, I can padde without any hassle.

Proves the point that there's a website run by the BCU (or whatever they're called) to look on in the first place, and that there may be an advisor to help with work related queries.
UKRGB is brilliant, and something I look on pretty much every day, but it won't shout your corner with the Council.

alan1nckc

Post by alan1nckc » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:16 pm

The link to river advisors is simply to a set of email addresses by broad region. however I'm interested in the Wye. Is that in West Midlands or SouthWest. Nothing else comes close.

The question, in case anyone here knows, is whether it is still possible to launch at Lower Lydbrook? There seems to be a 2007 post saying no, and a 2017 post apparently using it.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:36 pm

Lower Lydbrook is in Gloucestershire which makes it BC South West Region.

The EA Guide to the Wye says "Launching for individual but NOT groups. Donations requested in honesty box". Maybe "individuals not groups" is the reason for the different posts.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:44 pm

And I guess 'individuals' is a subjective term which we should interpret sensibly. If there are three mates, that sounds fine, if there are 20 people from your club, that doesn't sound like that was intended.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... jd-e-e.pdf

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”