Strobe lights^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Paul Blood

Strobe lights^

Post by Paul Blood » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:53 pm

I'm a sea kayaker.
Looking for a shrobe light. Which will fit onto a Peak: Sea and touring buoyancy aid. (Sea Zip)
Can any one help me please?

With web-sites, addresses or telephone no's

Kindest regards.

Paul

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:57 pm

I have one of these strapped to the shoulder of my Peak Sea Zip...

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Paul Blood

Post by Paul Blood » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:07 pm

Hi Mark.
Do you know where I can buy it from?
Paul

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:07 pm

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Paul Blood

Post by Paul Blood » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:09 pm

Thanks for your help mark

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:32 pm

paddleman

Post by paddleman » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:17 pm

Most good dive shops will have strobes as they are essential kit for night diving (so I'm told)

Canuck

Post by Canuck » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:17 am

Princton tec makes a very tidy compact strobe which uses one AA cell.
I suspect It may not have the intensity or duration of the C-strobe,but it is a good deal smaller and less than half the weight, if that is a primary consideration for you.

I can't say where you might find one in Danmark, but I'm sure princeton tec has links to online retailers on thier website.

Hilsen,

Mike

Paul Blood

Strobe light's

Post by Paul Blood » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:30 am

Thanks for your help guy's

jurgenk

Post by jurgenk » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:55 pm

Paul, I have the PrincetonTec model that (I believe) my fellow Canuck Mike is speaking of (link). I keep it in the back pocket of a Northwater Guide's Vest I wear and it is very compact and appears to be difficult to turn on accidentally. By Googling the item + Denmark this is what I found.

Brad
Last edited by jurgenk on Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Restlessness and discontent are the first neccessities of progress. Thomas Edison

robmackenna

Post by robmackenna » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:59 pm

Paul

If you're interested in the Princeton Tec strobe Knoydart sell them and will mail to Denmark.

Rob

TechnoEngineer

Re: Strobe lights^

Post by TechnoEngineer » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:56 pm

I was recently paddling in fog and couldn't help but think that I should have been wearing a strobe light.

I did the almanac search and found this thread. Have there been any updates on this?

What do people here use or recommend?
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

Bards

Post by Bards » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:30 pm

Ken, I carry a Jotron AQ4 which are well thought of I believe. It's never been tweaked in anger but I recall it has a range of about 6 miles. I think they are available from some outlets for about 50 or 60 quid but we got very lucky... Someone got a bundle of them for an expo; not sure where from, but they were 'retired' units from off-shore oil-industry, RNLI, CG or some such, and cost only a fraction of the retail. Don't know if the 'o'ring and stuff had been replaced, but certainly everything seemed great. I assume they are replaced on contract or something, but they are most likely never used as in most applications they would only be shone in unlikely situations. I seem to recall the depth quoted on their water-proof rating was beyond human endurance and guess they may be much-loved therefore by extreme divers?!
Sorry, no idea or contact on where they come from, don't know how they compare to others, but assumed that given the jobs which use them they are well up to spec.

Hope that's of some help,

Bards

Sorry, should have mentioned that in terms of PFDs a bit of Velcro stap seemed to do for a wide variety of vests. Can't even remember who makes mine I'm afraid, so can't give any help there... actually it's a red Delta maybe..?

Bob Hamilton

Post by Bob Hamilton » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:21 pm

I got an Aqua Strobe from Reed about a year ago, nice and compact and has a good flash

http://www.chillcheater.com/products/sh ... &pid=33288

Dave28

Post by Dave28 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:26 pm

I have a Guardian Adventure Light (try Google) on the strap of my BA, its the next level of waterproofing up from the 1 metre one i.e. 100 metres(!) (sold by dive shops) - it works either in strobe or continuous mode.

I use it in continuous to shine a light behind me, and a Primus Primelight headtorch with a red diode for chart reading, and a white beam to shine forward when necessary.

orkfay

Post by orkfay » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:53 pm

I got an Aqua Strobe from Reed about a year ago, nice and compact and has a good flash

I use this one too.
Recently used effectively when ferry was heading directly for us at dusk.

Previously used a Beaver Spectrum which unfortunately became less and less reliable over a fairly short life (less than 1 year)

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:25 pm

Bards wrote:I carry a Jotron AQ4
One of these I presume.... Does it float, and can a rechargeable battery be used?
http://www.aberdeenwatersports.com/shop ... ?item=1246

Jase

Bards

Post by Bards » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:54 pm

TechnoEngineer wrote:
Bards wrote:I carry a Jotron AQ4
One of these I presume.... Does it float, and can a rechargeable battery be used?
http://www.aberdeenwatersports.com/shop ... ?item=1246

Jase

Yup,that's her!

Okay, I've just shuffled out to the shed and cut her lose from the cable tie tether attached to my PFD; as she's always been thus affixed I've never checked on buoyancy - as far as I'm concerned she'll come down with me if I ever go ;-). Let's put her to the test...

It doesn't seem to quite float in tap water, and I would assume that the salt water density factor out on the water will not affect things sufficiently to make it float very well, but will double-check that in due course. I dunno, maybe all marine strobes have a relatively weighty battery so that in crisis they'll stay live for a good while, in which case a strobe would need to be quite big to go for a buoyant density? Be warned, that's a state-educated guess ;-)

Anyway, I was generously provided with free Duracell batts for mine so have used that, though I have to say I much prefer rechargeables normally as I like to feel more aware of charge level... finding out a non-recharger has been losing charge only when it's a problem on safety gear is not a prospect I care for, and you have now prompted me to do a Maplins run and get that sorted ASAP!!! As far as I'm aware there's no reason not to use a NiMh batt.

That's as scientific I can get, I'm afraid... dunno if all or some of the others float, but I'll try this one in the briny when I get the chance. As most people I know have them almost welded to their person, I've never seen the buoyancy as an issue, but will provide an answer - gives me an excuse to get cold and weight, so good work Jase :-)

BTW the price for the Jotrons on that website would appear to be a steal for a new unit if I remember retail costs correctly...?

Bards

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:57 pm

Cool, I now have one on order, and yes the price is good! Where do you mount yours, behind your shoulder? A 360 strobe seems like it's a bit wasted if it's blocked by a body or head, although I would imagine the main aim of having one is that something doesn't creep up behind you without seeing anything!

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:20 pm

orkfay wrote:

I use this one too.
Recently used effectively when ferry was heading directly for us at dusk.
Out of interest, had you been showing a white nav light which had not been seen? So when that became apparant, you switched to strobe, which did get seen?

I've always been dubious of anything large and fast spotting something small and slow (like me) when all I'm showing is a glow stick or a small torch.

Mike.

Bards

Post by Bards » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:18 pm

TechnoEngineer wrote:Cool, I now have one on order, and yes the price is good! Where do you mount yours, behind your shoulder? A 360 strobe seems like it's a bit wasted if it's blocked by a body or head, although I would imagine the main aim of having one is that something doesn't creep up behind you without seeing anything!

A good point, well made ref siting of the unit. Mine sits slightly below my shoulder on the front side, so is very available to operate in extremis esp if hampered, but TBF it's not sited for best 360 viz...

For me that makes sense as I don't make regular use of its light; I have done a good 50% of my paddling after dark and am somewhat night-vision obsessive... in response to that I try to keep my eyes out for traffic, obstacles etc as well as the night sky (Jupiter looks great at the moment!) and if cajoled will on occasion snap a glow stick to keep others happy for group dynamics, but really I prefer to operate in darkness. It takes all sorts, I know, but I can't stand those deck light things and their ilk usually - strobes are far preferable but as I'm an oddity, mine is reserved for emergency use rather than as a general practice. I suppose if I used it for a standard paddle it would make more night-vision sense as well as nav light sense to have it on the rear rather than in my direct peripheral vision. I only envision using it (rightly or wrongly) in rescue scenarios or similar, so preservation of my already highly limited Patrick Moore capabilities could go hang in that situation!!!

I'd be keen to hear what you think of it's use in different scenarios - really speaking I probably ought to dismount my high-horse on this one and use it more, though I just worry it may make me a bit less vigilant, as I feel I might start assuming that ferries etc can see me if the strobe is on and go into auto-pilot...

I think a strobe siting just needs to be appropriate for its use - horses for courses.

Hope flashing in public makes you happy,

Bards

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:26 pm

It's probably something I should know but....

Is a strobe meant as an emergency signal? (that's why I carry one).

If so what are the implications of using it regularly just to be seen?

As for location, mine is dazzling, I keep it high on my shoulder facing backwards, it may not be the very easiest position to activate it but it I can avoid blinding myself.....

Canoe-Cowal

Post by Canoe-Cowal » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:08 pm

Jim wrote:Is a strobe meant as an emergency signal? (that's why I carry one).

If so what are the implications of using it regularly just to be seen?

As for location, mine is dazzling, I keep it high on my shoulder facing backwards, it may not be the very easiest position to activate it but it I can avoid blinding myself.....
Like Jim I wear one just for emergency signal. I also pull it on to shoulder to signal position to fellow paddler behind. I have various kinds. Like the common ones Strobe at top and torch at bottom. like advised above in the link here.

We have now opted for the pencil typ the Divers use very bright and penetrating. Work like a fibre optic 3" long and 1/4" in diameter. We got them in lidl as part of a divers emergency kit. When a diver is in water his profile is alot smaller than a kayak, who tend to have 18' of boat to cling onto. Jim it does not dazzle and battery lasts a lot longer than the the ones dedicated to kayaking.

Worth a look

J

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:13 pm

My understanding is that a strobe is for use as an emergency locator - not to warn people of our presence - although it does raise a point of interest as to what constitutes that "emergency". Which is why I'm interested in Orkfay's situation with the ferry.

Certainly, having paddled in company of someone who insisted on using a strobe as a positioning light, it was a most disconcerting situation to be in as the strobing light was VERY annoying.

Mike.

Lindisfarne

Post by Lindisfarne » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:29 pm

This is quite an interesting topic. Like Mike, I thought a strobe was only to be used to pin point your position in the event of a rescue. If I seen a strobe flashing in the sea at night I would be inclined to think that someone may be in need of rescue. After reading through this thread it seems that this may not be the case and a strobe can just be used as a means to alert others of your presence in poor visibilty. Is this correct ?

Neil.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:15 pm

I've just checked the COLREGS (linked, for convenience, from Wikipedia here) and Part C (Lights & shapes) / 25 (d) 2 says "A vessel under oars may exhibit the lights prescribed in this Rule for sailing vessels, but if she does not, she shall have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision".

Rule 37 refers to Distress Signals and Wiki helps here too, as does Sailtrain which has a resource which points to Annex IV (here) both of which mention all the usual methods ranging from a Mayday to Red Flares, but don't mention the use of strobes.

So - I suppose we could conclude that a strobe could be interpreted as a "white light" of the sort required by a "vessel under oars" (us?) to "be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision". It would certainly be more noticable than a "lighted lantern"!

Interesting debate.

Bards

Post by Bards » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:48 pm

I've had a scope of this area before and found bugger-all clear legal definitions... I can fully appreciate the importance of clear viz 'special' nav lights in some situations, but always err (possibly quite literally!) on the side of only deploying it in extreme conditions only; fortunately not yet encountered. This area seems to be a very grey one, and I always plan to keep it pitch-black unless it's a lifesaver. Non-use where poss would I think will keep rescue services freer from unneeded reports as well as just for my money the sheer low-impact politeness of that approach all round...

At the end of the day, in most situations just staying out of the shipping channels around a port (thinking very locally here) should preclude my need for use, I think... in any event it's another reason for CH16 monitoring; in case of a false alarm being raised for any reason it can hopefully be stood-down as appropriate. A big ferry may see a strobe, but in a narrow channel it wouldn't guarantee an evasive course in time, I don't think.

It's all so subjective, I suspect an answer on this from RNLI/CG would probably vary between stations and/or individuals.

I'm relieved to see I'm no more uncertain as some of the site's all-knowing sages on this one!!!
Last edited by Bards on Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lindisfarne

Post by Lindisfarne » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:53 pm

Just been reading up on different types of strobes and a few of them mention that the strobe pattern they emit is the standard SOS signal. Three short flashes, three long flashes, then three short flashes. I've just fired mine up to check and it's just a bog standard flash every 2 seconds. More confusion.....

I think I might fire the question at Mike Avril, Sea Safety officer for the RNLI in Scotland and see what he comes back with, he's usually clued up on these things.

Neil.

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:37 pm

Interesting isn't it, a piece of kit has become fairly standard for emergency purposes but is not actually defined in the marine statutes......

Now flashing lights on bikes I know about. Flashing red is fine, flashing white may be attached to the rider, but not to the bike, which should have a fixed white.

Flashing lights on boats - well I guess if it's not listed in the standard signals then it can be interpreted in any way. However I think most coastguards or even mariners would probably associate a strobe with a post distress indication and would probably send the FRB to check you out. Coastguards and lifeboatmen will most likely be quite jolly about the whole thing, a ferry master who has had to stop and send out his FRB might not, nor might a fishing boat master who probably hasn't got an FRB and has had to stop fishing to investigate. I don't know, we have a few seamen on the forum, maybe they can shed some light?

Jim

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:50 pm

What actually gave me the idea of using a strobe light is seeing a hover-ferry travelling in fog with a big flashing orange light on top of itself.....I might even have some video of it....

I also remember attending a RNLI talk on flares where white flares are described as "attention-seeking flares" (i.e. collision avoidance) as opposed to red flares being to signal distress.