River Avon in Rugby

From the Warwickshire Avon in the south, to the Trent in the north
BrianTheTallOne

River Avon in Rugby

Post by BrianTheTallOne » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:54 pm

I'm thinking of doing a loop in Rugby up the Canal back down the Avon. From the OS maps it looks like the Avon would just about have enough water & no obvious weirs. Does anynoe on here have local knowledge?

Rae1

Re: River Avon in Rugby

Post by Rae1 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:33 pm

Hmm, I don't think I'd try it without scouting the whole route. At Butlers Leap/Boughton Rd there is a small broken weir, which you'd have to walk round, it'd go in higher water, it is very narrow there - 2 ditches width, with a lot of rocks. The bridges there are a bit low too, In Aprils floods, the water went over the bridge decks in that section.After that, toward Leicester Rd, there was a lot of industry, which has mostly gone now, but there is a shopping park there, and it is common to see trolleys in the river near to the Steam Packet pub.
It is shallow for most of that section (what you can see from the road anyway).I'd be very wary of doing it.

BrianTheTallOne

Post by BrianTheTallOne » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:05 pm

Thanks Rae1, this is very useful info.

Mmm it sounds like one of those adventurous tiny rivers, where you need just the right amount of rain, to scout the weirs beforehand and to navigate fallen trees etc. Not quite the sort of itinery I'm looking for this weekend.

I'm guessing for Draycote water you get shouted at if you're not in the sailing club?

Any sections on the Avon further west worth looking at? Ryton, Stoneleigh etc?

Rae1

Post by Rae1 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:22 pm

A round trip from Leam Boat Centre is possible.
Get on below the large weir, half a mile further on there is another weir, easy to shoot it on the left hand side,follow the river until you go under the canal, gte out on one of the fishing pontoons river right, there is a path up to the canal, get on the canal for 3 miles or so, past a few reasonable pubs, after a overflow/sluice on canal right, get out on the left, and the river is below you. It can be tricky to get down, but possible, then just follow the river back to the start. 3 or 4 hours if you do it slowly.