Paddling Round Llandudno^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
steve-m

Paddling Round Llandudno^

Post by steve-m » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:28 pm

We are planning a short half term trip next week round Llandudno and Great Orme's Head.
We will be on spring tides and from the chart we can see how the general pattern of tide streams move around that area, roughly speaking east/west. However, can anyone advise on the detail as to how the water moves around on the east and west sides of the Llandudno peninsular at different states of the tide?
Thanks Steve
Steve-M Shropshire

Pelagic

Post by Pelagic » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:52 pm

Hi Steve,
Off Gt Orme both the east and west streams form eddies close inshore, these can be a help or hindrance depending on your planning, there are no significant tides in Llandudno Bay, however the Conway side has significant currents being a river estuary. it also dries for a considerable way at springs.
The logical approach therefore is to plan to leave from one of the carparks (near the cafe is good) on the Conway side of the narrow isthmus of the Orme, as to time a couple of hours of flood should give you a lift, ensure there is enough water, and the eddies off the Orme shouldnt be too bad, arrive at Llandudno round about HW.

Lastly dont underestimate wind over tide at certain points it can cut up a bit rough. If you find you are fighting a counter stream head further offshore and you should pick up the flood stream again.

Walk back and pick up the car, parking is a bit more difficult on the Llandudno side.

Leave some dawdling time to explore the caves and have a good trip!

Phil

steve-m

Thanks

Post by steve-m » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:48 am

Many thanks for this guidance.
Steve
Steve-M Shropshire

adam_harmer

Post by adam_harmer » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:53 pm

Hi, i paddled that trip today, was lovely, light winds and neap tides so dead easy, paddling solo only took me 2 hours, could always extend to little orme on the east or start by penmaenmawr to make a whole day of it.

I also know of people who paddle from puffin to the orme quite often

Adam

active4seasons

Post by active4seasons » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:52 am

I paddled to and round Puffin one evening/ night years ago but I would not recommend this as it is totally spoilt on the return to Llanfairvechan due to all the lights from the A5!!
Worth a trip in the day though.
Watch the Blue rinse clan in the tea rooms of LLandudno!
Ollie
Developing Desire for Adventure!

Mike Marshall

Llandudno Paddle

Post by Mike Marshall » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:26 pm

Hi all,
This is my "local" paddle and from my experience of the area over the last 25years (how old am I?) it is a relatively easy sea paddle in no wind conditions. I have paddled it from "West shore" to LLandudno bay, the other way around and have paddled to Puffin island and back from the main Llandudno bay and also "done" both the Ormes from Rhos on Sea to West shore and return with a short bay crossing.
Tides even on springs can be paddled against or "slipped past" in a modern sea kayak with paddlers of some sea experience. The most onerous sea conditions would be produced by Northerly or Northwesterlies. The back of the Ormes are fairly remote and there are a limited amount of places to land at high to mid tides. Below mid tide there are several beaches and some nice sloping rocks under the lighthouse area (if you can stand the smell of the Guano!)
The two main tidal races are, as you leave the main Llandudno bay to "turn the corner"around the back of the Great Orme and the next major point directly under the old Lighthouse. The most difficult conditions I have experienced here are Southwesterly gales. In these conditions, it is not the swell. The rotor (or downdrafts) off the cliffs, are very tricky, particularly around the lighthouse area. They were noted, I believe in old sea pilots as "baffling airs"!!! Far more of a potential problem than the tidal streams. Starting from either side of the Great Orme will allow a simple return to start as an "abandon trip" scenario.

It is a beautiful trip, which, like all paddles, is never the same.
One of the major points of the trip are the large nesting colonies around the cliffs on both the Great Orme and the Little Orme (bit smelly mind!).
Unlikely this time of year, but I have paddled with Seals and even Porpoise on this trip.
There is also Mobile coverage around the trip as well (O2 at least)
NO excuse not to let Holyhead know you are out and about though!!
The nice thing is for a couple of quid you can drive around the Orme and recce the trip!!
Pm me if you need any more info

Regards
Mike Marshall