New 2 Man Tent For The Summer (and the Scottish Summer)^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
mitchmix99

New 2 Man Tent For The Summer (and the Scottish Summer)^

Post by mitchmix99 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:24 pm

hi all,

looking to invest a new tent for the summer (and some winter use). Needs to be 2 man and have a decent storage area for kayak kit but not to big so that you need a big area to pitch it!

any suggestions would be great.........

mitchmix99

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:43 pm

This is excellent, with the only proviso being that it isn't freestanding...

http://www.forcetentents.com/products/tents/serac12.htm
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:47 pm

Like Mark I like a tunnel tent as they tend to have a huge vestibule. The North Face Chattannogais very easy to erect inner and outer being linked together. Very handy when it is raining. The three poles are identical which makes it easy to set up in the dark.
Douglas

PippaHarris

tent

Post by PippaHarris » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:55 pm

I use a Hileburg Akto. It's perfect for me and I'm 5'11" and 70kg. The only problem is that I can't sit up properly in it,however it is very light so I put up with this.

CaileanMac

Post by CaileanMac » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:35 pm

Richard Cree has a Force10 Serac tent which Mark mentions. I believe he has used on his sea kayak camping exploits...??

Wild Country Mistral (masssive changing / wet gear / keep midges off food,pans, etc porch area) for myself but after extended use for the past 3 seasons it's due for replacement this year if the bank manager will allow, so I watch this thread with interest.

CaileanMac

Erling

Post by Erling » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:14 am

The igloo tents' advantage is in my opinion that they are easy to move around for finding the perfect position between rocks and tree roots. But I still prefer my tunnel tents for two reasons: a) they have generous storing areas in both ends, nice when the weather turns bad. And b) they have openings in both ends, which means that when the morning sun shines we can get another hour of sleep without being suffocated. That small breeze through the tent makes all the difference.
The older I get, the better I used to be.

DougSmith

Post by DougSmith » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:54 am

I use a Terra Nova Quasar. There are two vestibules, one at either end. I use one for storing kit and the other for cooking (with great care, and only when the weather is foul). The doors can be left slightly open at the top during wet weather if you need some airflow through the tent (useful for drying kit inside if the tent is in one place for a while).
It's bombproof, and is probably overkill if you just want to use it for the Scottish summer. You could probably get something much cheaper that would do the job.

great white

summer tents

Post by great white » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:52 pm

Hello, Can thoroughly recommend the Force Ten Baltoro, as strong as a Quasar with more features and can be picked up for half the price at about £180...any questions just ask.

Cheers
Andy