Bl**dy Rolling

Inland paddling
DaveBland

Re: Bl**dy Rolling

Post by DaveBland » Wed May 22, 2019 5:31 pm

Here's something that hasn't been mentioned so far in this rolling thread...

Core strength. Super important for that last bit of the whole rolling part right up until and after you actually get upright again.

Once you are up and out of the water, the key is to get forward and paddling as fast as possible. The less gap there is the more stable and safe you are.

The amount of paddlers you see that roll up and the last bit is [quite understandably] a slow-motion, clear head / sit-up / adjust position in boat / ...and then think about paddling.
It's like the getting up bit is the end of the achievement. IT IS NOT.

Get up and get going. Worry about where you are going, clearing your head and everything else after you are moving.

...and back to the initial point - this is all way easier if you aren't struggling to get your weight forward because your core isn't quite as 'sit-uppy' as it could be.
Last edited by DaveBland on Wed May 22, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dave

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Wed May 22, 2019 5:32 pm

why is that italic??
dave

gp.girl

Post by gp.girl » Thu May 23, 2019 11:59 am

DaveBland wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 5:32 pm
why is that italic??
Hmm bit strange that!

Kids do more than fine rolling and unless the instructors and coaches I've worked with are wrong they tend to have less core strength than adults? Certainly they spend most of their time paddling leaning back. Having said that mines rubbish as all those moves that involve core strength just hurt and totally fail to happen also most of the boat rescue stuff as that's all core strength based techniques.

There was actually a really good brace last night top hand down and finished sculled forward to get going again. Was self checking any bracing for one actually happening and two being nice to my shoulders and three actually working,

Believe me if you're this bad at it, it is :) also if it's me I may be taking a breather to calm down. Don't know about you but I really can't paddle with adrenaline present.

Anyway last night was mixed - roll crappy on the course OK on the flat, nerves variable but I've had a lot worse and even knowing that swimming was going to be likely at least there was some flailing around with the paddle before swimming. Played around with the outfitting, extra foam made it feel tippy for the first half hour and the happy feet won't inflate properly :( I did manage to paddle into the big playwave deliberately (1st time ever!!) stay up a while and stubbornly put a second entry in for worst successful roll.
I can roll :)

gp.girl

Post by gp.girl » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:42 pm

Sometimes I can get it right so despite some crappy rolling and a day of avoiding turning over, rocks hurt, I did some practice rolling including one on the left!!! Another day of avoiding - I forgot the nose clip ;) the last day consisted of playboating at MEM and the head games got back under control. So surfing got followed by rolling and a flat spin or 2. Still don't like rocks to the head but at least I kept calm.
I can roll :)