New Toy From Mega^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
StoneWeasel

New Toy From Mega^

Post by StoneWeasel » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:56 pm

Hi guys and girls,

You may already be aware that mega have a brand new surf kayak out but I thought you may not.
So if you were not aware check it out, it is called teh Neutron.

The Mega Neutron

Article is in Portoguese(sp?) but has good pics of the Neutron in action

this kayak seriously rips and I should be recieving mine shortly, so if anyone finds themselvs surfing the beaches of Cornwall and wants to play in one get in touch and I am sure that would be fine.

Denzil

greensurfer

Post by greensurfer » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:49 pm

Just curious, why the Nuetron and not the Impulse? I have the Maverick but would rather a boat closer to my playboat for comfort (straight legs don't go well with a bad back). Whats the waiting time for Megas? and dare I ask what price?
p.s. the Fury looks very loose in the right hands too. Decisions,decisions

shore-thing

Post by shore-thing » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:23 pm

boat closer to my playboat for comfort
The closest surf kayak I've tried to this is the 88 by Murky Waters. It's a great boat. It's well worth getting in touch with them via their website to see where their nearest demo boat is to you.

The picture on their site doesn't do the boat justice. It's available in nearly any colour you want and their top of the range carbon layup is both lighter and cheaper than a Mega kayak (even with import tax)

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:30 pm

Hi There, I have not paddled the 88 but it does look like a nice bit of kit.

Greensurfer if it is a whitewater style paddling position you like then the Impulse is designed around this (designed to make the move to surf boat easier I belive). I also belive the Impulse is better for the slightly heavier paddler than some of the mega surf boats (such as the Neutron)

The Neutron has a more typical surf boat position but is a bit faster than the Impulse I think and it is just plain nice.

Denzil

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:13 pm

Oh come on, even I can read between the lines - why the Neutron? Because it's new and shiny! - LOL :-)

JIM

younggun

Post by younggun » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:15 am

Looks like they are going back to the old school moccasin style surf shoes. Looks pretty nice but i would never get rid of my revenge!
ps. Mega make the best surf boats so i wouldnt look any where else!

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:02 am

younggun wrote:Looks pretty nice but I would never get rid of my revenge!
Try the Neutron then say this to me again ;-)
younggun wrote:Mega make the best surf boats so I wouldnt look any where else!
Mega do make very nice surf craft but surly as to the BEST that has to come down to personal preferance and paddling style.
For example take James Hawker who is a very good surf paddler (got to the finals of international class and HP class at the last world chapionships) but his paddling style does not suit the Mega boats perfectly so he started Future Kayaks to make boats that do suit his style (or anyone else with a similar style of surfing). Some people get on better in Murky Waters boats etc.
At the moment for me however, I think that the Neutron is probably the best boat out there (all a case of personal preferance).

Denzil

edt: grammer correction

greensurfer

Post by greensurfer » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:21 pm

I would imagine you would almost be a test pilot for that boat as I wouldn't think there are many about our coastline yet. Will be interesting to hear your report. Have you managed to demo one?

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:54 pm

I have Demoed a Neutron (although it had not yet got a name when I tried it). I think Malcolm had only made two of them by this point (both of which he baught with him).

I loved this boat but I will wait to righ a proper review as I did not stay in the boat that that long as I was too loose in it and slid around a bit too much.

As soon as mine arrives (hopefully not long as Malcolm asked for my delivery address today) I shall pad it out properly and take it for a good surf session or two and then I shall write up a little report on how it flew.

Denzil

P.S. You are right greensurfer I doubt there are many about yet although mine is unlikly to be the only one turning up at my local breaks as local paddler Richard Sims piced up one from the demo day (silver / grey one in the pics on the Portrogese site)!

greensurfer

Post by greensurfer » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:30 pm

ummm Denzil, do I take it that you have completely forgotten about the slanderous post you made about Mega not very long ago on this very forum? Have you kissed and made up or have you fallen out with Future Kayaks?

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:51 pm

greensurfer wrote:ummm Denzil, do I take it that you have completely forgotten about the slanderous post you made about Mega not very long ago on this very forum? Have you kissed and made up or have you fallen out with Future Kayaks?
I certainly have not fallen out with Future Kayaks, James Hawker is a salt of the earth chap.

I have however kissed and made up with Malcolm of Mega, though he did ask me to wait until matters were fully resolved before I told the world about what happened.

So a full account detailing what a lovley bloke he really is shall be along shortly when matters are indeed fully resolved.

Denzil

P.S. considering I had a boat with an awful problem though and am now recieving a shiney new Neutron it does not take a rocket scientist to work out how matters were resolved.

greensurfer

Post by greensurfer » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:23 pm

Ah right,
have you managed to get a look at the Impulse or test one out? I'm trying to find out more info on this one too. This dry cold weather could prove bad for my bank balance! Too much web surfing and not enough proper surfing I'm afraid.

meagre goat

Post by meagre goat » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:42 pm

The next boat i'll get will likely be an 88. Super light, super cool surf weapon, tried and tested. Suprisingly comfortable too considering the no-compromise nature of the hull. Furthermore dealing with Malcom is such a pain the arse I have no problem whatsoever going out of my way to find alternative surf boats. I have a hunch that we will be seing a lot more of Murky Waters in the not too distant future.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:58 pm

Goat, you are indeed welcome to express your opinion of Mega's product/ service here.

I have to say though, it's oh so easy to spout this stuff without a name attached to your post...
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:29 am

Hey greensurfer,

I did have a look at the Impulse as Malcolm had a couple there the day I tried out the Neutron and I had planned to demo one also.
Unfortunatly though I tried the Neutron first and then kinda did not bother with the impulse after falling in love with the Neutron (I don't mind a more surf boat leg position although even the Neutron seems to have a leg position a bit closer to my playboat than some other surf boats I have tried).

It certainly looked quite nice though and people certainly got on with them (2 were purchased / ordered on the day I saw them). I would say this boat would be more worth considering if you are a bit larger or really want to keep the whitewater seating position.

If this is less important to you I would look at the Neutron or the Fury (my personal favorites).

Denzil

P.S. where do you surf Greensurfer as I should have my Neutron in Cornwall soon if you want to try one.

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:35 am

Hey Goat,

I take it you have had a problem with Malcolm in the past that left you feeling you had been treated less than perfectly?

I felt similar (see thread where Mark(guidebook) wants persuading into buying a surf craft) but Malcolm got in touch with me and we talked things through and he has certainly changed my opinion.

So why not get in touch with Malcolm and see if you can not sort it out?

Denzil

P.S. Mark I no longer recomend against doing a deal with Malcolm direct and actually reverse my opinion and say if you do still want a surf craft why not give Malcolm a call and try his range of boats out (it's not like you will need reminding but always remember to DEMO DEMO DEMO).

wave skier

Impulse

Post by wave skier » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:41 pm

Hi,
We have an impulse at our Club, Aberavon, Port Talbot. Junction 41 and 5 minutes to beach.
Great boat, bit more forgiving for the heavier paddler but IMO still miles better than any play boat in surf.
If you're in Aberavon over weekend 4/5 Feb. Welsh Surf Kayak Competition on and you could have a try of the impulse, x ray or mavericks belonging to club.

Harry.

greensurfer

Post by greensurfer » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:49 am

Thanks very much Harry but I can't make that date. What sort of weight do you think is ideal for the Impulse? How do you rate it against say the Maverick? Malcom has sent me some pics and it looks very nice. Have to say the width sounds a little daunting but would really appreciate any feedback (unbiased) as to its performance and handling ta very much.

wave skier

mega impulse

Post by wave skier » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:29 pm

Hi,
Have a look at the mega-kayaks website under surf kayaks and the specs including weights for each boat are identified.
Regarding the capabilities both the maverick and the impulse are excellent boats with the impulse imho being for the heavier paddler. The maverick is very quick on the wave and probably due to less volume at the nose better for end moves.
The Impulse would be easier to transfer into for a river paddler as he/she would be more used to the wide knee sitting position. If a paddler sticks with it the Maverick can provide excellent moves and suprising speed.
My advice would be to try them both. WCA are holding some surf coaching for members on Sunday 19th February at Aberavon Beach Junction 41 M4 then 5 mins to beach. It's for WCA members but pm me if you want to come and try the boats,just not too many comments about yesterday's rugby results!
The lifeguard building is on the seafront, parking is free and you can even have a hot shower to finish.
Best Wishes,
Harry.

surfkayaks.com

Neutron Review

Post by surfkayaks.com » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:22 pm

Neutron

I don’t always gel instantly to a new kayak and I have to confess the same was true with the Neutron. My first half hour I was finding it a little bit frustrating. “New boat, looks like an awesome design, why am I not tearing it up?” After reminding myself that I had been surfing a Prowler for almost 4 years and that it might not quite respond in the same way that the Prowler does I started to relax and let myself follow the natural flow of the boat.
Speed. It likes to go fast. Made a couple of sections on a heavy Portballintrae left hander that I’ve never made in the Prowler and only seen a few very good boardies make and hold. Its flat hull design reduces the friction allowing that extra bit of zip which just might pull you out of a sticky situation!
That also in turn allows for a slicker top turn with the short tail flashing around above the top of the wave. I have been particularly enjoying turning back of the pile in smaller waves as the whole boat flicks around and drives out of the pocket in an instant. I would describe my off the whitewater turns as very good but have always felt a little staggered. I love the feeling of power of the pocket turning and driving you away in what seems like an effortless movement.
Bottom turns have become quite dependant on the fins in the Neutron due to the slicker hull. Why not? If you’ve got them then use them. Positioned slightly further back than in previous surf kayaks allows the nose to swing around more and be more vertical on exit from the bottom turn. My goal in surf kayaking is to be able to snap turn the way a good surf boarder can and I believe that this kayak is the one that will start to do that.
I did manage to go aerial in my first session but only after a bit of practice. Part of the skill needed to pull of an aerial manoeuvre is your timing out of your bottom turn before heading up to the lip and hopefully skyward. I struggled initially due to the fact that I was coming out of the bottom turn too late not realising the speed I had and shooting up into the pile and missing the pitching lip I was after.
Do I like it? After riding a wave where I pulled clear out of a big barrel before nailing a big air that had the one person who was watching seeing only my hull above the wave I would have to say I liked it! It’s going to be fun! Enjoy.

Jonny Bingham
World Surf Kayak Champion

Sean Morley

A real alternative...

Post by Sean Morley » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:15 am

Before placing an order for a neutron just have a look at (and a go in) the Rush by Valley Sea Kayaks. Of course I am biased because I helped them design it but I am delighted with the result. If it is speed and air you are after then this is the boat. If 360's is your thing then maybe look elsewhere.

I know there is a problem with a lack of demo boats to try but I am willing and able to meet up with folk down here in Cornwall so you can have a go in mine. There is also one at Glenmore Lodge in Scotland. VSK hope to get a demo to A&S watersports in the not too distant future. They are really busy with their core business of manufacturing more traditional sea kayaks so please be patient.

In the meantime just to wet your appetite:

http://www.aswatersports.co.uk/gallery.aspx

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:59 am

Hi Sean,

Cheeky little bit of thread hijacking ;-P

You do have a point though and I do feel that people should try as many different boats as possable before buying one (Mega, Future, Valley, Murkey Waters etc.).
Personally I feel that the mojority of paddlers will end up in a Mega boat after this process but not everyone. Different boats for different blokes after all. This should mean though that most paddlers end up in the boat most suited to them.

Denzil

P.S. the rush is not the only boat that can grab air (even if it is awsome)

Neutron
http://amadeo.blog.com/repository/152743/520807.p.jpg
http://amadeo.blog.com/repository/152743/520803.p.jpg

Fury?
http://cosmos.oninetspeed.pt/lpabreu/darren10.jpg

Phil...

Post by Phil... » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:20 pm

..and this fury,

Poke

Post by Poke » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:17 am

Is it just me Phil, or does that look like it is going to get painful quickly?

I'm sure i've done that by accident before :-)
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Mike Marshall

Surf Kayak or Waveski then?

Post by Mike Marshall » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:59 pm

Starting out many years ago with a VCP Surf shoe then the horrendous Valley Mocassin IMHO(cant believe they are reselling it!), I moved onto waveskis and have never really looked back. I am intrigued by all this surf kayak talk!

Are we anywhere near waveski performance with these, as my trusty Phantom D Cell is starting to get a little tired?

Mike Marshall

greensurfer

Horrendous Valley Mocassin

Post by greensurfer » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:37 am

Yes I had one too. Do we presume then that the designs of nearly thirty years ago were light years ahead of their time or have surf kayak designers just given up?

Mike Marshall

Surf Kayak Design

Post by Mike Marshall » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:09 am

Its great to see surf kayak designers going again. There was a significant lull after mid seventies. This is where waveskis became the machine to have.
I am intrigued to try their performance as opposed to a ski.
If they are that close, I am up for one, as the waveski can be quite damaging on the lower back, especially in bigger surf and particularly if you dont get to paddle one that often.

I want Mega to make a larger Neutron!!
That is so close to my ski design (on the hull and plan shape). I know that will perform, but alas my weight is just outside. :-(
Very few manufacturers cater for the bigger person with the performance machines!! You have to be 13 stone wringing wet to qualify for a performance ski or boat!!

Mike

greensurfer

Post by greensurfer » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:28 pm

If we have to put up with a dry winter like this again I can see the surf kayak becoming more and more popular or waveskis too.

Mike Marshall

Dry Winters

Post by Mike Marshall » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:35 pm

OH yes, packed in rivers long ago due to access and dry winters!!

Surfed twice this year already, but the ice cream head...ouch!!!

Adrenaline always outweighs the cold though!!!

Regards
Mike

chris d

Mega Neutron

Post by chris d » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:40 pm

Hello
Just a few question i need help with.
Thinking about getting a surf specific kayak had a good browse on the net and like the look of the Neutron.
I spoke to Mega ,told them my weight 13.7 stone and i'm 6ft tall. He said the neutron was spot on for my size and weight.
Not sure whether to get a plastic Neutron or composite. He assured me that there was'nt that much difference in performance. About 10% he said.
Bearing in mind i currently surf in a Dragorossi fish playboat which is very fast and carves well for a playboat i think i would'nt notice the difference that a paddler that has allways paddled composite surf boats.
Is the boat a very aggresive unforgiving boat,or fairly user friendly?My mate bought a Mega Predator top spec composite a while ago and he get's a kicking every time he's surfed it ,i don't want to make that mistake.I mave tried the Maverick and did'nt like the seating position and a bit cramped.Is the Neuron any more comfortable?I was told it had a higher knee position more of a playboat cockpit.
Also i live in the NorthEast and i was wondering where the nearest demo boat is?
Your views and expert opinions would be gretly appreciated.

Thankyou,Chris D