Norway map resource^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Erling

Norway map resource^

Post by Erling » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:17 am

In case any of you are planning to do any kayaking/canoeing in Norway, there is a quite good free online map resource here:
http://www.gislink.no/gislink/index.jsp (It doesn't work so well in my Opera unfortunately.)

It has the usual map functions (move, zoom etc.), and coordinates in the UTM/WGS84 system. Practical, as this coincides with the system used in the 1:50,000 scale paper maps that can be bought in any bookstore here. It allows you to switch between maps, satelite and aerial photos. The map is quite detailed, even at very high zoom levels. Here are some example screenshots:

My local waters. The dotted lines are municipal borders (grey) and ferry routes (blue).

Zooming in:

When you get in close, topographic details appear:

I do not know methods to export maps directly to Fugawi or Ozi, but there's always the normal route of scanning printouts to jpg-files.

I hope this may be useful to someone.
The older I get, the better I used to be.

Jon Wood

Post by Jon Wood » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:17 am

Excellent info, Erling
Especially given the price and delivery times of Statens Kartvek Maps over here.
Any chance of posting a quick lookup translation table for the options tools?

Thanks

Jon

Erling

Post by Erling » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:57 am

Will do, to the best of my abilities. (Read: quick and dirty.)

Upper left corner:
Tegnforklaring: Legend: Only county (fylke) and municipal (kommune) borders
Utskrift: Print: Choose scale, simple printout or to PDF, paper format, legend on the map or on separate printout (Tegnforklaring i utskrift eller på ny side), preview (Forhåndsvisning)
Zoom til koordinater: Zoom to coordinates: North/East Empty fields (Tøm felter) Search (Søk)
Naboliste: Neighbour list: For building purposes; by law you have to notify the owners of the land bordering to yours
Kartlagsliste: List of map layers: Choose layer and press Oppfrisk (refresh)
Layers are:
- Kystfiske: Coastal fisheries (sub categories fish farms, lighthouses and sea markers etc.)
- Samfunnssikkerhet: Society security (sub cat power lines, 10 year flood, 20 year flood, avalanche areas etc.)
(I skip a lot)
- Flyfoto: Aerial photo
- Satelittfoto: Satelite photo
Tegning: Draw: Draw lines, polygons, circles etc.
Velg kommune: Choose municipal Choose theme map Choose county (fylke) Choose municipal (kommune)

Top:
Zoom in/out, Pan, Previous (forrige) Show full map (vis hele)
Info (draw a rectangle to get info on objects), Scale (målestokk), Erase objects (slett), Distance (avstand), Area (areal), Overview (oversikt), a small map in top left corner, Mail link to map (send kart), Help (hjelp)

Målestokk = scale

Bunty Hargreaves

Post by Bunty Hargreaves » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:36 pm

Erling, I would like to compliment you on your flawless English. It puts many native English speakers to shame.
Bunty

Erling

Post by Erling » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:45 pm

Bunty;
You are too kind, I am painfully aware of my shortcomings. My two teenaged sons speak and write English like natives though, so the schools must be doing something right these days. Getting half of their genes from their mother has obviously helped too.