Loch Maree access

Rivers 'near' Inverness
quinding1

Loch Maree access

Post by quinding1 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:10 pm

I've heard a rumour that canoeing on Loch Maree is not liked (whatever the Scottish access to the countryside laws may say) - to the extent of veiled threats against boats, equipment and parked cars with boat carrying roof-racks. Has anyone got any more knowledge of this? I don't want to paddle across, go walking and camping for a few days, and come back to a wrecked canoe. I'm happy to provide more specific contact details if you don't want to post anything to this "open" forum. I hope this is an unfounded rumour, and I don't want to spread it, if it is untrue. Thanks. Bill Quinton

Nasty swimmer

Re: Loch Maree access

Post by Nasty swimmer » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:50 pm

There's a lot of history behind this. There are valid concerns about disturbance of breeding black-throated divers on the loch and potential threats to the woodlands on the islands if people camp there, but the owners of the loch and adjoining land play on this to restrict access. You have a right to paddle on the loch so long as you act responsibly and don't harm the environment. Paddling across to get to the hills on the other site is perfectly legitimate and anyone who obstructs you or damages your kit is breaking the law

maryinoxford

Post by maryinoxford » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:17 pm

I went there with a friend several years ago. She contacted whatever agency is responsible for taking care of the birds. They told her that one or two of the islands (I don't remember which, now) are sensitive, and they prefer people to avoid them during breeding season, but as we went in September, I don't think it was an issue anyway.
Not in Oxford any more...

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:43 pm

Nasty swimmer wrote:There's a lot of history behind this. There are valid concerns about disturbance of breeding black-throated divers on the loch and potential threats to the woodlands on the islands if people camp there, but the owners of the loch and adjoining land play on this to restrict access. You have a right to paddle on the loch so long as you act responsibly and don't harm the environment. Paddling across to get to the hills on the other site is perfectly legitimate and anyone who obstructs you or damages your kit is breaking the law
Lets be clear on this - your right of (responsible) access is not limited to merely paddling across the loch.

Nasty swimmer

Post by Nasty swimmer » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:08 pm

MikeB wrote:
Nasty swimmer wrote:There's a lot of history behind this. There are valid concerns about disturbance of breeding black-throated divers on the loch and potential threats to the woodlands on the islands if people camp there, but the owners of the loch and adjoining land play on this to restrict access. You have a right to paddle on the loch so long as you act responsibly and don't harm the environment. Paddling across to get to the hills on the other site is perfectly legitimate and anyone who obstructs you or damages your kit is breaking the law
Lets be clear on this - your right of (responsible) access is not limited to merely paddling across the loch.
Absolutely (see my penultimate sentence) but the original post concerned paddling across to spend a few days in the hills.

quinding1

Post by quinding1 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:04 pm

Thanks all for your comments. Certainly any damage to vehicles or boats would be criminal - but there'd be no way of proving who had caused the damage without someone staying with vehicle and boat at all times.

Bill

leintwardine

Post by leintwardine » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:00 pm

There's no longer an anti-canoe view on Loch Mares. It is still best to check about which islands to avoid due to bird restrictions (snh Beinn Eighe www.nnr-scotland.org.uk/beinn-eighe/).

Cars should be fine. I've not heard of any problems in the time I've been living up here.

Conor

quinding1

Post by quinding1 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:50 pm

Conor,

Many thanks for that positive comment. We'll be keeping well clear of the islands anyway.

Bill

Gordon15

Post by Gordon15 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:13 pm

I've been on Loch Maree several times this year and the Isle Maree is well worth a visit. There's the remains of a Druid's circle, Viking graves, the remains of a breakwater built by the Vikings for when they wintered on the island and the money tree. Legend has it that if you take anything from the island bad luck will follow, you may scoff at that but when you're on the island there is a definite atmosphere.
Absolutely no problems with access to the loch.

quinding1

Post by quinding1 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:05 pm

Many thanks Gordon.

Happy New Year.

Bill

Return to “Scotland - Far North”