sea sick^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
huggy

sea sick^

Post by huggy » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:49 pm

I've always suffered from travel sickness, cars, ferries, trains, yachts etc. But surely sea kayaking wouldn't be a problem. How wrong I was.

Tried silly wrist band thing didn't work and drugs (kwells etc) worked a bit but stills get that green feeling.

Any ideas?

drking

Post by drking » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:07 pm

When doing my L3 a few months back one of the other candidates did their lecture on sea sickness. It was actually quite interesting. He talked abit about the benefits of ginger to settle the stomach. He had some in a small pack that was sugar coated. Worth a try i guess if you can stand the taste. I will try and find the hand out he gave me. It might shed more light.
cheers
dan.

ianzippy

Post by ianzippy » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:37 pm

Drugs - see your GP and get something effective. Some work better than others in different situations.
"Love many, Trust few, Learn to paddle your own canoe / kayak (delete as appropriate)"

wave skier

sea sickness

Post by wave skier » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:29 pm

Try sturgeron (available at chemist) and take it the night before to let it get in your bloodstream or wherever it goes. Under your tongue if you take it when you feel rotten.It does'nt make me drowsy.
Ginger tea seems to help especially on passage, I guess a flask with the tea bags left in should be ok.
When sailing that's what I use and so far so good!
Good Luck,
Harry.

Helen H

Post by Helen H » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:02 pm

Have you tried mint imperials?
The woods would be silent if no bird sang except those that sing best.

capsized8

I don't remember eating carrots!

Post by capsized8 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:57 am

I always (if it is going to be lumpy) chew crystaline ginger, it seems to work for me. It probably tastes better second time round if it does fail!

My wife who is a pharmacist, put me onto the ginger as an alternative. I never, until now, considered why she suggested an alternative to over the counter preparations, until I saw this post. Hmmmm she must have a book somewhere.

Suffice to say, I'm sticking with the ginger. Even the scientists can't agree on what causes the problem and there appears to be 2 theories, ours and the Russians.

It suggests that the drug which is probably the most effective (Hyoscine) has adverse effects including - blurred vision and confusion, just what you need when rockhopping :)

Interestingly enough, it does also say that a small study indicated that ginger "was indeed effective in reducing symptoms" but needs confirming.

The other consideration is - where are you looking most of the time?
You will find that the symptoms will probably ease if you spend more time looking towards/at the horizon and not the front of your boat.
peace and good padlin.

huggy

Post by huggy » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:50 am

thanks will try those out

As for where I'm looking I can't even consider lokking at my deck unless it's flat! yup pathetic I know have to rely on others to nav for me this is why I want to it sorted

rotobat

sea sickness

Post by rotobat » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:19 am

You could always suck a fishermans friend!

capsized8

Re: sea sickness

Post by capsized8 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:45 am

rotobat wrote:You could always suck a fishermans friend!
Is that legal!!!
peace and good padlin.

steamstevec

Post by steamstevec » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:34 pm

Spike Milligan said that the best cure for sea sickness is to sit under a tree.
On the few times that I have felt sea sick looking at the horizon for a few moments has stopped the feeling. Then having frequent sips of water has stopped it comming back.

Steve
What do you mean life is short ?
It's the longest thing your going to do.