Shark kayaks^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Dai drip

Shark kayaks^

Post by Dai drip » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:18 pm

Anyone looking at eBay recently will have seen Shark composite 5.05m kayaks for sale. Does anyone have any experience of these? I believe they are made in Poland. Are they well constructed? Are the fittings good standard? How do they handle? Any information greatfully received.

OwenBurson

Post by OwenBurson » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:35 pm

I had a good look at one yesterday, it was bought off ebay, and it seemed a well made, solid, low spec' boat.
I didn't paddle it, but the guy who bought it seems very happy.

Owen

Erling

Post by Erling » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:19 pm

For what it's worth, which may not be much:

The eBay seller says; "It is very succesful on demending German and Norwegian markets".

This intrigued me, as I have never seen this kayak around. A search revealed that it is imported to Norway by a company that presents itself as "a cooperation between 3 private persons who are aiming at selling kayaks and canoes of the best quality to the best price". ( http://www.mamut.com/duv ) They have a Tønsberg address – which is exactly where we have our summer house. Strange, I have never seen the kayaks on the local waters. Lots of other makes, but not this one. They say that the Sea Shark is 58 cm wide. Compare this to the eBay page, where the width has increased to 60 cm (does it swell in water?). There is also a 3 kg weight difference.

Don't get me wrong, this may be a kayak well worth its money. Like I said, I have never seen it, not to mention paddled it. But I would hardly say that this kayak has taken the Norwegian customers by storm.
The older I get, the better I used to be.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:47 pm

The apparent lack of deck lines worries me a little - --

Mike

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:01 am

The ebay seller has a feedback score of 5 (100% positive). Two boats were sold for £600 and one lucky person seems to have got one for £370. Can't see the details for two earlier sales.

Mark R

Re: Shark kayaks

Post by Mark R » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:04 am

Dai drip wrote:I believe they are made in Poland.
Probably irrelevant, but...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 35,00.html
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

CaileanMac

Post by CaileanMac » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:59 pm

Wonder if Shark Kayaks are coming out of the same factory as Point 65, Kaspian and Kajaksport? If I remember right there is one rather large factory somwehere in Eastern Bloc who make several companies their sea kayaks for them? Estonia or Poland?????

CaileanMac

John W

Post by John W » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:30 pm

As Mark says, it may be irrelevant but a little more detail on the Mollyanna:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/4810986.stm

Though the craft was not suitable, there are also lessons here relating to correct clothing and to the dangers that may be present even close to shore, in what many people take to be relatively sheltered waters.

Anders

Post by Anders » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:33 am

It seams the same kayaks are sold in Denmark to:
http://www.billig-kajakker.dk/kajakshop.asp
Since I've never seen one I wouldn't know if they are any good, but they sure are cheap, starting at 4800dk = 410£. Selling them for 600£ seams like a profitable idea.

seatiger1

Shark composite

Post by seatiger1 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:58 pm

Hi All

Not that it may be relevant to the UK but I can teel you that l met a big Dutch guy here in Poros last year, [he has a holiday house] on the island, and the Shark he had started to delaminate and get the dreaded bubble [early] osmosis formation behind the cockpit the aft deck on [they dont seem to like the heat, okay he stored it uncovered outside and it was 40C but it look real bad. I had a trip in it one afternoon and did not like it much, suppose you pay your maney take your chance but I would give them a big swerve.