Coast to Coast

Inland paddling
neilfarmer

Post by neilfarmer » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:22 pm

guidebook wrote: Fiendish - Start in sea at Kinlochleven...somehow or other get over the watershed to the Tay system, then as above.

...or I might just say, 'Stuff all that' and go paddle the Etive.
"Fiendish" - I think that you are understating the proposition! I thought the walk up the Leven (past the 'end of the world') was hard enough. We only went half way....

As for the Etive, if it is not frozen, I am sure you will have some company over the weekend! Might even be lucky and get some of the other rivers up.....
Neil Farmer.

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:02 pm

Are you teachers all off at the same time for once? If so I know Neil is keen to find out if his multiday kit is going to be alright for India, what could be a better testing ground than the Scottish Highlands in February? It seems to be a favourite with many Himalayan climbers, why not kayakers?

Just wondering if I'm psychopathic enough to borrow a big boat and offer to join you, it's the kind of thing I'd like to do, but can I really hack it in February?

JIM

Andy Wilson

Post by Andy Wilson » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:09 pm

guidebook wrote:
Come on folks...has anyone actually SEEN the River Truim? What did it look like?

Cheers,
Yes many times but never with enough water in that you could paddle the main river only the falls. Expect lots of gravel unless it has rained well. As the guidebooks say there is nothing of interest to the WW paddler but for the falls, which are a nice diversion on the way home after a days paddling elsewhere.

I guess the higest navigable point subject to reasonable water levels would be around about the Dalwhinnie distillery so, you could come across from Loch Ericht with an easyish portage. The Truim feeds into the Spey near Newtonmore, which goes all the way to the seaeeeeeee.

The Western half doesn't look too inviting though. Loch Leven and Blackwater?

Andy

Jim

Corsham

Post by Jim » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:38 pm

Been there long Andy? Don't recognise your name, but then it must be 10 years since my folks moved away.... Reckon I knew all the paddlers there at that time, but could be wrong!

JIM

Andy Wilson

Post by Andy Wilson » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:42 pm

I don't live near there Jim though wish I did.

I just get up there a couple of times a year, have done the falls and visited the distillery several times...hic...

We actually drove up and down the Truim several times in December and didn't see it with any water in as usual.

Andy

Jim

Post by Jim » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:04 pm

Cross purposes, I mean't where you claim to live in your location thingy.... :)

JIM

Andy Wilson

Post by Andy Wilson » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:43 pm

Doh.. Didn't see that you had changed the post subject. Never really saw the point of that feature once a thread is open.

Anyway, moved here in September 05 from the beautiful isle of Anglesey, not by choice but goes with the job I'm afraid.

Andy

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:31 pm

I've never paddled the Tummel.

Above Loch Tummel - I see from the map that water is extracted. Does it have any flow left?

I'm aware that it is dam-release below Loch Tummel...anyone know when it releases? If there is no release, is the river floatable?

Cheers,
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

paddletastic2

Tummel

Post by paddletastic2 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:44 pm

This is a picture of the Tummel dam on a Sunday Morning - the photo says February but I think it was March.

There was no release but it was paddleable. Most releases are over Saturday night during summer months. The SCA site lists the local access officer who I have e-mailed before and who has been very helpful.

tomcrow99

What boat...

Post by tomcrow99 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:57 pm

Just out of curiosity Mark, What boat were you planning on paddling? A touring boat for the flats or a White water boat?

As for the Tummel... I'm not a fan, it's shallow, narrow and not a lot of fun. The Top bit looks relativly interesting mind with a possible portage. There are 2 dams which have seperate release schedules. The top dam accounts for the red dot that is regularly on the SCA gauges map, I think its a fairly regular release. The lower dam on officially releases during the summer but theres normally enough water to scrape (its not a long section down to loch Faskally anyway)

If you had some water, the walk over Rannoch moor would be about 4 miles or so from the end of the Blackwater Resovoir(above the Leven) to the Put in of the Garbh Gaoir and then down to Loch Rannoch (which is one of the most beautiful areas in Scotland) Then a long paddle down the Tummel, Portageing a couple of dams and into the Tay.

Looks like Fun....

Tom

Mark R

Re: What boat...

Post by Mark R » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:30 pm

tomcrow99 wrote:Just out of curiosity Mark, What boat were you planning on paddling? A touring boat for the flats or a White water boat?
Touring boat I think - might not be much fun on the rough bits, but I can carry my winter gear and survive the big lochs...

Not entirely sure what I'm going to specifically do yet...a week and a half left to decide. I could still go for the 'Etive' option.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:40 pm

Might be easier (but not cheaper) to go to Livingstone, it is worth going for a week !

I did an August trip to Scotland this year, paddled the 2 releasing sections of the Tummel (top bit releases most days and is nice enough, but wouldn't bother if anything else running), then Falls of Lora (and Etive tribs running that day), day 3 Carron and looked at Falls of Shin before crippling myself on first inspection on Meig - not even in my boat. Should have been on Morriston for final day, but headed home.

Mike

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:46 pm

jmmoxon wrote:Might be easier (but not cheaper) to go to Livingstone, it is worth going for a week !
Was considered briefly - but wrong time of year, I'm led to believe.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:48 pm

Well, they do still paddle the Zambezi, but quite a limited section at this time of year. But yes rapids are definitely more defined at October half term.

Mike

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:53 pm

jmmoxon wrote: before crippling myself on first inspection on Meig - not even in my boat.
Mike, your approach to the Meig was all wrong - if you look you won't do it. Just keep taking the right hand alternative and there is only one spot where you will have any trouble :D

Probably better with a local who knows it the first time!

JIM

Bod

Post by Bod » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:36 am

Mark

I think you might be underselling yourself. Surely Scotland is just too narrow? How about a sabbatical and a longer trip with your wife.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 64-7865264

You are welcome to borrow the book.

bod

tizereyes

Post by tizereyes » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:13 pm

guidebook wrote:So far the interesting possibilities break down to...

Almost pleasant - launch on Rannoch Moor, paddle downstream into Tay system, stop when water gets salty.

Fiendish - Start in sea at Kinlochleven...somehow or other get over the watershed to the Tay system, then as above.

Excruciating - As above, but cross from Tay system to Spey somehow or other involving Loch Ericht, stop when North Sea is reached.

Cheers,
How about:

Glowing - the length of the Spey and as many distilleries as you can wave a stick (paddle) at. If all else fails you can visit Maggieknockater - surely somewhere with a name like that would be worth a visit?

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:09 pm

Cancelled - not enough water around to make the rocky bits bearable I reckon, so I'm going sea kayaking.

Thanks for all the good input, this will still happen, just at a later date...
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

bobtheboulderer

Re: Coast to coast

Post by bobtheboulderer » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:02 pm

IainS wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:19 pm
Another option is in the far North.

Put in to the salt of Loch Laxford, paddle up the meandery River Laxford to Loch Stack, then a short paddle/portage up to Loch More. Then portage across catchments into Loch Merkland. From there you can probably paddle down the Merkland River to Loch a' Ghriama and into Loch Shin. Over the dam and down the River Shin which flows into the Kyle of Sutherland and the salt.

Advantages of the above: all portages can be done on the adjacent single track A838 so not as masochistic as it could be. You'll get a bit of excitement as you tumble over the Falls of Shin.

Apologies if you already knew about this one.

Iain
Hoping to do this route this year on paddleboard. Anyone know if the river shin is paddle able from Lairg to the falls of shin..?
Save me a long portage..😊

Chris Bolton

Re: Coast to Coast

Post by Chris Bolton » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:15 am

Anyone know if the river shin is paddle able from Lairg to the falls of shin..?
This is the UK Rivers Guidebook, not just a Forum :-) ... see Guide.

Robert Craig

Re: Coast to Coast

Post by Robert Craig » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:29 am

Scottish Canoe Touring, published by the SCA, has a chapter on cross-Scotland routes.

The most adventurous route of which I am aware started in the Outer Hebrides - an it was in an open Canadian! Ray Goodwin, IIRC.