Blue green Algae reported in the Basinstoke canal.

Hampshire Avon drainage and eastwards, with the Nene as the northern limit
chriscw

Blue green Algae reported in the Basinstoke canal.

Post by chriscw » Tue May 06, 2014 3:43 pm

I have seen a report which admittedly looks a little fishy that the Ash Lock to Greywell section of the Basingstoke canal is closed to unpowered boats due to blue green algae. Does anyone know if this is true and if so is the 'ban' being enforced and should we be taking any notice of it or at least taking extra care?
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:
Touring, Coaching Beginners (I am an L2K), Surf White water trips, Weir Play (I'm not good enough to put freestyle!)

twopigs

Re: Blue green Algae reported in the Basinstoke canal.

Post by twopigs » Tue May 06, 2014 4:06 pm

Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

chriscw

Post by chriscw » Tue May 06, 2014 4:32 pm

Yes I had seen that. the EA is of course not the navigation authority for the Basingstoke canal. But the canal society have sought their advice on the matter. What i am wondering is whether or not to ignore the 'ban'.
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:
Touring, Coaching Beginners (I am an L2K), Surf White water trips, Weir Play (I'm not good enough to put freestyle!)

Mal Grey

Post by Mal Grey » Tue May 06, 2014 10:48 pm

I know folk who have seen the blue algae themselves, and apparently there is quite a bit visible.

The latest on the Hants council's canal page is this;
Blue-Green algae 02.05.14
Hampshire section of the canal now closed to all unpowered boats. The Environment Agency (EA) have now confirmed that the algae is toxic blue-green algae and advised us to close the Hampshire section of the canal (Ash lock to Greywell) to all unpowered boats (canoes, kayaks, rowing boats etc) until further notice.

We are advising everyone to take extra precautions while visiting and using the canal, as you and your pets could be at risk.

Do not allow your dogs to swim or drink water from the canal.

If you come into contact with the algal blooms ensure good hygiene before eating and drinking. Symptoms may include skin rashes, vomiting, fever and joint pains.

If you feel unwell or are concerned please contact your doctor.

Unwell pets should be taken to a vet as soon as possible.

Additional information is available on the Environment Agency website, environment-agency.gov.uk

We are monitoring the situation and warning signs are going up at all key access points along the Hampshire section of the canal and further updates will be posted if the situation changes.

So personally, I'll probably avoid it. I guess technically it would be possible to paddle it with little risk to yourself, but I don't know enough about it. I also don't know if it can be spread by canoes/kayaks or paddles?

In terms of enforcement, I expect the worst that would happen is somebody shouting from the banks...

I will be watching closely to see what happens, if anything.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Wed May 07, 2014 11:56 am

chriscw wrote:Yes I had seen that. the EA is of course not the navigation authority for the Basingstoke canal. But the canal society have sought their advice on the matter. What I am wondering is whether or not to ignore the 'ban'.
Since the canal is not a public right of way (I understand), if the canal society who presumably have the control ask you not to use it then you would be guilty of trespass if you did.

chriscw

Post by chriscw » Wed May 07, 2014 10:06 pm

yes well at the very least I shall need to avoid using it when I am taking kids out.
Chris Clarke-Williams
Location Basingstoke

Paddling Interests:

Return to “England - Southeast”