Rockpool Taran (full size) vs Tiderace Pace 17^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Aled

Re: Rockpool Taran (full size) vs Tiderace Pace 17^

Post by Aled »

Jannik wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:37 pm
Best downvind kayak... tiderace 17... No bagege... Any thougts
The Pace18 would be better suited than a Pace17Tour for this purpose.
Best, Aled.

JulesT

Post by JulesT »

Did any of you guys try a surf ski ? If you want to really shift downwind, and you know what you are doing, you'll leave all of these sea kayaks in your wake.
Jules

ErAh

Post by ErAh »

First sorry for my bad english, but I hope you can understand...

I am trying to paddle my countrys coastline 1300km 2021 and I like to do it quite fast (=do the route record, even they don't record them). The kayakshop I mainly use sells both Rockpool and Tiderace and I am thinking between Taran 16 or 18 and Pace 17 tour. I am 5'11" and 195-200 pound heavy. Now I have Tiderace XPLORE L, Kirton Inuk and Lettman Speedliner, but I think none of them will be optimal to me. XPLORE is too slow (I can paddle it about 7,5 km/h in calm weather in long days), Inuk is too small and Speedliner is too tippy, if weather turns to be bad like +35mph backward wind. I need to take about 15 litres water (to avoid unnecessary findings for watersupply) and about little over 20 kilos equipment (maybe 40 kilos with water).

My goal is do +65km in a day so little difference to XLPORE to faster kayak is needed. With Inuk and Speedliner I can paddle about 8,5-9km/h in long days, but maybe little bit slower is enough. I think I paddle about 8 hours in a day (in a long run), split it about 4x2 hours parts, when I make dinner after two 2 hour paddle.

JulesT

Post by JulesT »

If to set the record is your top priority then the logical choice would be the Taran 18. If comfort and convenience is your priority then the Pace 17 Tour.
Of course for such a journey its well worth trying each boat to see which best suits - you might be comfortable in one and not the other.
An idea is to research and then contact those sea kayakers that have done similar journeys of this nature, e.g. cumnavigated Ireland, the UK, the mediterranean etc.
Jules

ErAh

Post by ErAh »

Sadly my local kayakshop dont have Taran 18 in stock. They have only Taran 16 and Tarantella in stock, and then they have also Tiderace Pace 18 and Pace tour S. Maybe I go and test Taran 16 and Pace Tour S. Then I try get Taran 18 to get test paddling. I have hear that Taran 18 much more stabil than Inuk, but I havent test it.

Jim

Post by Jim »

I haven't tried an Inuk myself, but I have raced against them and put my Taran (18) alongside them many times. There is no doubt the Taran is a lot more stable and comfortable than an Inuk. In calm conditions the Inuk should be faster, in rough the Taran is so easy to get on with that many paddlers would find it faster for them. I train mainly in a wild water racing kayak, it makes my Taran feel like a rock solid ship, yet it goes just as fast. Unladen I can easy paddle the Taran at 10kph for 2 hours, I don't have experience of longer durations or with a full camping load to compare with though (I should stress that I am nowhere near a good racer, competent, but not especially fast).

Selkie

Post by Selkie »

Update to options.

I am currently testing the new generation 18X Sport in expedition layup with a Kevlar hull. It now has the same Smartrack rudder as most FSK. Over the last few years, I have mostly been paddling surfskis. I have paddled a gen 1 V8 alongside a the Taran 18 a few times and found that it was quicker, especially in a following sea. Baring in mind the this is the same hull as the 18X sport. This new 18X seems quicker still and has the highly efficient paddling ergonomics of a ski cockpit. This is one of the reasons I have favoured a skis over sea kayaks. It has deep paddle cutouts for a more efficient forward stroke and a rudder footplate that allows a variety of cockpit positions form knees under for play and the knees up for a faster forward stroke. After 10 minutes, I forgot I was in a closed cockpit.

I am aiming to trial some of these FSKs over this summer to get a fair comparison. In the UK the Taran 18 has a strong following and achieved great success with local records. The Epic 18X has done likewise further afield setting records on massive circumnavigations.

I like the ergonomics of the Pace 17. She is a pretty boat. I also prefer the swede form. I noted that a previous post stated that the swede is not good in a following sea. A very odd comment considering that all surfskis are swede form and designed specifically for downwind.
www.selkiekayak.com
Surfskikayak on Facebook

Ivolino

Post by Ivolino »

I have the same choice. Taran 16 or Tiderace Pace 17-S Tour. I am 77 kg and 1,80 m. I paddelt the Taran 16 in big waves and found it a very stable boat. For fun I mostly paddle surfski but I need a boat for 1-2 week trips in sweden. The Taran surfs well. Glides over waves easily and does very few nose diving. Empty I felt a bit too much like a cork but I guess loaded it is just right. Question is, how is surfing with the Pace 17-S Tour? I don't like nosediving. My current Lettmann Skinner does it a lot and it has not enough storage for my trips thats why I want to chance my sea kayak. Footplate looks the same on both boats. Very uncomfortable. Rudder seems to be the same too. Which boat is better going straight in diagonal waves? I like the oval front hatch on the Pace. The Taran seems to be 3 kg lighter what I would prefer.

Ivolino

Post by Ivolino »

Has anyone paddled an Inuk kayak?

mrcharly

Post by mrcharly »

overfallpaddler wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:49 pm
FSK’s
-Taran, really good all round. Training/exped/downwind/fast
-Pace 18. Not really an exped boat, fast on flatter and calm conditions. Really good training boat
-Pace 17. A friendly FSK, not the fastest but pretty accommodating
-SKUK Quantum. Stable and fast with a beam of wind and good into wind, good at carrying gear, not the fastest downwind
-Stellar 18R. Similar to an INUK classic (kinda), not really an exped boat but it’s pretty quick!
-INUK Ultra. Massive, needs to be laden.
-P&H Valkyrie. Super flexible. If it was composite it would be good
-Valley Rapier: it’s 45cm wide and 20 ft long, it goes like stink and glides, it’ll leave all the others behind until one of the others surfs past a swimmer. An advanced FSK in the bumpy stuff.
-INUK Classic. Not really an exped boat, if they redesigned it slightly it could be one of the best.
-
Curious about this. I come from a K1 racing background and interested in sea kayaking. The only 'real' sea kayak I've paddled was a P&H Scorpio, on a calm river.

Did you mean that the Valkyrie hull is flexible? Or did you mean it can be used in multiple roles?