Dehydration etc

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
ChrisS

Dehydration etc

Post by ChrisS » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:22 am

I'm looking into the feasibility of a mixed club trip to Lundy in the summer. One of the main risks I have identified is that people will not drink enough and become dehydrated because they will know they won't have a chance to land and find a bush to do a number one behind for four or five hours. So what I need is tips on doing number ones at sea, for both sexes, in as dignified, hygenic and private a manner as the circumstances will permit.

By all means have a good titter, but some constructive suggestions would also be very welcome.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:36 am

A female member of our group encountered this problem.

This was when the experience of all those raft games played whilst starting out in paddling came in useful.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

CaileanMac

Post by CaileanMac » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:49 am

ChrisS,

Naglene 1lt water bottle (like the bottles Pyranha used to give away with new boats) coupled with zip fly on trousers/salopettes/shorts for gents.
Ladies, perhaps one of our regular female contributors will share some top tips.

CaileanMac

PS - rafting and peeing is great fun, so long as it ain't you needing do the business!

CCL

Post by CCL » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:34 am

http://www.travelmateinfo.com/page002.html

across the pond, the above seems quite popular......I am not yet persuaded. The more common female approach is to be deliberately dehydrated and suffer the consequences (headaches etc) - this is a poor option for longer crossings and potentially puts the individual and the group at risk.

I haven't yet come across any female friends who will admit to using one of these 'devices'... ; )

[/quote]

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:38 am

Claire, please! I was just sitting down to my breakfast.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

CCL

Post by CCL » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:45 am

Apologies Mark - I forgot you are on school holidays...

I've just seen 4 patients this morning - all with far more squeamish conditions...!

The winter solstice morning sounded lovely by the way.

Claire

Zoe Newsam

Post by Zoe Newsam » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:45 am

guidebook wrote:A female member of our group encountered this problem.

This was when the experience of all those raft games played whilst starting out in paddling came in useful.
Wasn't me (!), but I was there. Needed plenty of boat-stabilising assistance, and all kinds of comedy ensued...:00 !

Personally I don't deliberately dehydrate, but I guess over the years as a girlie in outdoor sports one tends to just develop good bladder control! I regularly paddle for a full day without needing to 'go' at all (not so on land...), in contrast to my male paddling buddies who are forever looking for a 'private spot'.

My way: Just Hang On.

Zoe ;0)

Bertie..

Post by Bertie.. » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:58 pm

zoenewsam wrote:
My way: Just Hang On.

Zoe ;0)
and carry some diarrhea tablets!

ChrisS, also something else to consider, esp. given that you're talking about doing the trip in the summer and are concerned about dehydration implying your concerned about the effects of heat, is for the person wanting the pee to just jump out of their boat, and then get back in/be rescued back in - will help keep them cool also

foxy

Post by foxy » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:01 pm

We discussed this topic in depth whilst planning a crossing to the Isle of Man, really regarding number 2!, we decided that the raft would need to be towed gently!
I'm so intrigued by the travelmate, I've bought the wife one for Christmas, she'll love it, is this the same as the famous 'beaver hose'?

I am glad I found this thread, it's great to be so enlightened.
Nemo Malus Felix

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:19 pm

A product I'm already aware of is the Travel John. They seem to have made quite an industry out of the problem.

active4seasons

Post by active4seasons » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:04 am

At least 8 years age whilst running expeditions for Raleigh I remember having lectures with NOLS, an environmental group from N America. All the brits were surprised, even shocked by the topic of No 2's! They spent time talking about various methds of cleaning yourself - cone or pebble?
I remember my partner getting upset by the concept of my Pee bottle - saved getting out of the sleeping bag! Just had to colour code them so you did't take a sip of the wrong one in the morning!
On a serious front we need to learn to consume the correct amount of fluids to maintain the correct fluid balance for the activity we are undertaking, this comes with practice.
I do remember trying to take a pee from the back of a double and finding it very difficult not to dribble the last bit on the deck, any advice greatfully received ladies.

Ollie
Developing Desire for Adventure!